1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIR track changes

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Doesn’t make sense to me but I’m an idiot.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Is the idea that close to the track surface allows a side glancing blow, where if the wall is a long way from the track, you're more likely to have a perpendicular impact?

3. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Honda type R will bury them. And live forever. :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    BigBird likes this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm about to take my 350 with knobbies around the block before the plows get here, but you do you :p

TurboBlew, BigBird and baconologist like this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Have fun taking the kids to school or bringing home a week's worth of groceries for a family on that 350.
    Or for those without a family maybe picking up a spare engine for your racebike, or a 40lb bag of dog food or taking your date out for a nice dinner.

BigBird likes this.
  6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

thats why we have tow pigs, not “race” cars

TurboBlew and cav115 like this.
  7. SuddenBraking

My kids take the bus and I get my groceries delivered.

But I've got a truck and a minivan for when those mundane tasks arise.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Exactly! At least that is the theory... I question the execution, however, as to the new front straight guardrail which is much too far from the track surface to effectively reduce the incidence of head-on impacts. I expect the guardrails will be revenue-generating, since many tracks charge for repair costs.

cBJr likes this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well yes the Type R is faster around the track than the Golf, it certainly looks the part too. I would have liked to get a type R, not going to lie. Besides the look, I needed a automatic with my hip/knee issues, and the DSG doesn't make you miss a manual.

Interestingly enough though, the Hondas overheat on track to the point of busting the head. I think in the last year of production Honda added more cooling to try and address that issue.

We only have two vehicles, her Mazda and my VW. My wife is very against having more cars than drivers, or at least she was. At the time the Minivan was up and the GTI was loan wise upside down, so the GTI stayed. And that's how I don't actually have a minivan any longer and stayed with a mini van car. Minivans are big hatchbacks, while I have a compact car hatchback.

Son asked me if I can get any car and keep the Golf, what would i get? without hesitation i said Minivan, and he said I'm crazy

cav115 likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

thats suburbia talk.
    All that stuff can be delivered or rideshared...

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

will the track offer "guard rail insurance" to partner with that ala rental car revenue??

BigBird likes this.
  12. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Isn't MotoAmerica going to VIR this spring???
    VIR never consulted them on these barriers???
    John Ulrich to the white courtesy phone please...

13. SuddenBraking

Your wife is a smart woman. We're really a half a car household most of the time, and if we had an additional driver in the house (in 7 years we will) I wouldn't get an additional car. Hell, in 9 years when my two oldest daughters are both driving I doubt I'll have any more than 2 cars. Easy enough to cover those rare events when three vehicles are needed with either a motorcycle or an Uber/Lyft - we're almost at that point where I'd sell one of our cars and do that now with how little we drive them.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Minivan mass psychosis!!

Minivan mass psychosis!

Treatment is available

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough though, the Hondas overheat on track to the point of busting the head. I think in the last year of production Honda added more cooling to try and address that issue.

Haven`t seen or heard that...

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Seen it first hand at a Time Trials. They run in my class, and was done for the day, had to tow it home.

A quick search and you'll see those that track the CTR have issues.: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=civic+type+r+overheating&atb=v255-1&ia=web

18. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

A CCS racer lost an arm to the VIR armco between 6 and 7 about 15 years ago.

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

You will have perpendicular impact when it is close as well. Cars go sideways, hook up and shoot straight from there. In whichever direction it is pointed when it hooks that is direction it goes.
    Usually you want to lock up brakes to slow it down.
    When I hit wall at Sears it was end of left hand corner (turn 6) , car behind touched my rear and I spun. Slammed in to wall on left side of track, opposite of direction I was going.

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

My buddy has golf R and say he needs bigger intercooler. Car will lose power after 15-20 min