1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plumbing question - sink gurgling

Discussion in 'General' started by BrianC636, May 6, 2019.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Trick question: Are you sure it isn't just a garbage disposal?

:D

evakat and R Acree like this.
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Maybe there's an angry badger hiding under the sink?

evakat likes this.
  3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Trap setup under the island then main sink

Spitz likes this.
  4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

If you are getting air coming out of the AAV when water runs down the other (double sink, washtub sink, mudroom sink) drains, then there is a pressure buildup between where all these drains connect together, and the vent pipe itself. I'd run a snake through all the lines, past where they all connect to the drain line running under the house (to the main drain line if possible). There is likely a bunch of greasy gunk somewhere partially blocking the pipe.

I use a product named Drain Care to prevent these issues. Its contains bacteria that eat grease/soap residue, and die when they run out of stuff to eat. Breaks up the gunk, and you can then flush the drain nicely. Claims to be safe for all pipes and septic systems as well.

XFBO, ducnut, pscook and 1 other person like this.
  5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If air is coming out of the AAV, it’s not working.

6. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Air is not coming out of the AAV, if I remove the AAV, air comes out then.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Gonna have to get me some of this stuff just to avoid any future problems!
    Sounds like the same concept as Rid-X, y'all think that stuff really works and keeps the septic system healthy???

Stupid question for the OP, any chance the p trap in that island sink barely had water in it from non-use and that's causing the gurgling??

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  8. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

it's 2:1 soda to vinegar
    Hot water to rinse helps too
    https://crunchybetty.com/clean-your-drains-baking-soda-vinegar/ found this link quickly and it is basically what we do
    a small funnel can help to get the powder where you want it to go, other wise it is a pita to get it in the drain

9. FrankGTA

FrankGTA New Member

Hi BrianC636, I just happend to see your post and would like to ask if you already solved your problem. Currently I have the same issue as you had, and am looking for a proper solution.

10. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Mr Obvious...

11. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member