1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transporting a bike in freezing temps

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Jan 3, 2022.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

The bike is currently in a heated garage in Michigan but I will be headed to Daytona. Trailer is a basic enclosed trailer. Bike has water with water wetter.
    Is draining the water enough or do I need to fill with antifreeze?
    Is there any type of electric warmer I could place around the engine?

2. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

I once transported a Ducati 998 inside an enclosed trailer through below freezing temperatures with water/water wetter in the bike. It froze and did some damage. If you have a way to rig up some sort of heater inside the trailer to keep it above freezing you’ll be ok, but if not, you may need to switch over to antifreeze then switch back prior to getting on track.

3. If you have a way to put a heater in there do it. If not anti freeze in it.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Anti-freeze is your friend in shit cold weather. Simple task.

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Load the bike last, drive fast, start it up every gas stop until you get to warmer temps.

6. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Why gamble, drain, fill, run to circulate coolant and do it again there and before the trip home. You could try another method but it's not 100% like antifreeze.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Drain the cooling system.

Drop a hand warmer next to the jug every time you stop for gas just to be safe.

Cheeeeeeep insurance.

cav115 likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've always just drained the water wetter and water out, and left as many water connections undone and loose as possible. I've transported in well below zero temps and never had a problem with this method.

SuddenBraking and cav115 like this.
  9. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

What they all said.I did a February Talladega years ago, and some guys had frozen overnight, and a few were damaged.I somehow came out with just a water wetter slushy on my bike.
    Definitely not worth the risk.
    I would just drain it

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

At the very least drain it and leave the drain bolt off and the radiator cap off. To be 100% certain, drain the water out, fill with antifreeze and run the bike up to operating temperature to ensure all coolant is cycled. Does AHRMA allow engine ice? I can't remember. If so just put that in there before you leave and you should be good to go because I don't think that shit freezes until like 10 below or something

11. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Big risk for 30 minute flush.

12. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

drain it, I had a motor ruined from this

13. svracer22

I’m definitely going to drain the water. Is that sufficient or do I need to add antifreeze and run it?

14. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

you probably would be fine with just draining, but why risk it - run the coolant through it

15. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

So I just did this in December, from Quebec, Canada to Miami, FL and no issue.
    I loaded my whole trailer except tires and bike the previous night.

5am loaded everything remaining. When it came to the bike, I started it while loading the wheels, let it come hot.
    Loaded it working and once everything was strapped down, turn the engine off.

Drove all morning day and evening until I got my a$$ to South Caroline (19h drive)

Bike was fine.

Left Canada at -10/-12C not putting in effect the windshield factor.

If you plan on always stopping and staying the night at some hotel in the cold weather, then yes change it out for anti-freeze.
    I would NOT advise on a heater while driving, as you never know what might happen and $hit starts catching on fire (I actually thought of doing that but forsaw all that could go wrong with many scenarios lol)

Enjoy your trip and good luck at AHRMA (which is what I'm assume you're doing this coming wknd)

16. svracer22

Engine Ice isn’t allowed.

17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Why do that? Just let it idle the entire drive. And plug in tire warmers so the tires don't heat cycle :D

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Simply leave the bike running while you drive

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

See now you stole my joke by 30 seconds

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  20. svracer22

Thanks for all the advice. I drained the water and refilled and ran with antifreeze.

Sabre699 likes this.