1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla repair costs are the bomb

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Dec 21, 2021.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I did a 4500 mile round trip in the purple pig this past fall. Managed 16mpg average in a quad cab dually 4x4 with 4.11 gears, with an average speed of 63mph for the 1600 miles on the way out.

Put five GALLONS of oil through it from the time I left to the time I pulled in back home down a gallon.

The replacement engine will cost less installed than the electronmobile’s copper top.

StaccatoFan and Ducati89 like this.
  2. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Rumble Truck was an ‘03 555 ft/lb HO.

Purple pig is an ‘05

Both 3rd gen, 6-speed manuals.

Looked into regearing the Rumble Truck, such a waste with the granny 1st gear to run 2k RPM at 70, but the third gens used American axles instead of Dana, and nobody made ring and pinion sets shorter than the 3.73’s it had.

4. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Glad you ended up coming down and said hey while you were here

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Was that sarcasm?

I ain’t been there yet, dufus. Tax man says wait for 2022 before dropping the nut. :moon:

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

If you get to that point :)
    From wiki,

On June 4, 2017, the American Automobile Association raised insurance rates for Tesla owners following a report from the Highway Loss Data Institute.[185] The report concluded that the Model S crashes 46% more often and is 50% more expensive to repair than comparable vehicles.[185] Similarly, the Model X was concluded to crash 41% more often and to be 89% more expensive to repair than similar vehicles.[185] [188]

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Oh, misread what you said, I had gotten impression you had been here and picked it up

8. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

What's the towing capacity of a Tesla?

Oh yeah, and they are a haz-mat clean-up, in a bad accident. Pray for the passengers needing extraction by the EMT's and F.D.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

My Passat TDI would do north of 800 on one tank.

MachineR1, Once a Wanker.. and Phl218 like this.
  10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I have to say that a lot of you probably sounded like horse owners when them new fangled horseless carriages stated appearing. “A set of horse shoes will cost less than them thar round black tire things”. “ Who is going fix that thing when it breaks? The vet comes and takes care of my horses”. “Good luck getting gas for that thing. I just put the feed bag on my horses, done”. “ I don’t have to hand crank my horse, I just throw a saddle on and away I go”. :D

cu260r6 and Jed like this.
  11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

This.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

Progress in what? Getting rid of one global issue to create another?

Or are we going to sit there and pretend that electric cars don't bring a whole set of problems all of their own?

Electric cars are not the answer. Period. Never will be. It's a fad that hopefully will be replaced by a real solution.

EV sales are still a drop in the bucket and the only way they're going to grow that market is by passing bullshit laws like California has. Because it's certainly not the better product at this time.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Audi is getting damn near $800 out of me today for essentially an oil change.

I hate corporate chain dealership service. F@ckers!

and my loaner is a turd. :D

15. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

I loved my TDI Golf! 600 miles was my average!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

"A fool and his money...."

17. The "Audi Total Care" was included in the deal with mine ($6,500). It includes all routine maintenance, plus consumables like brake pads, windshield washers blades, all the filters, battery, etc. It also offers replacement on the tires and wheels if they get damaged (or repaired if the wheels get dinged/scratched), along with covering any damage (chips, scratches, tears, stains, etc) to the exterior paint, seats, carpets, floormats, etc.

It basically covers anything that is needed to keep the car new, for 5 years.

It wasn't necessarily a choice. He said on the R models most dealers will add anywhere from $10k-$20 additional profit to MSRP for "Market Value Adjustment" or some shit like that. He said they won't do that, but they do add the ATC package to the deal on all R models.

I guess if I bitched enough and said it was a deal breaker, they would probably remove it. But I didn't really care, since it covers all the shit I would ever need done, or anything that could make the car look shitty.

Not to mention, if they charge that much for a damn service, there is no telling what they would want for those Carbon brake pads. If I keep the car long enough, it could pay for itself with just maintenance and consumables.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

With your car I'd definitely add the total care if you plan on keeping it for a few years. If you're dumping it after 2 years, you're issing away cash on it.

Did you get the ceramic brakes on that war pig? If so, the pads are a few grand alone so. . .

$800 is a bunch of shit that I can't remember. All I heard was oil change. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Yeah, what happened to your Kia is not the norm by a massive long shot. At 3yrs that batt would still be under the emissions warranty unless you put a metric fuck ton of miles on. The hybrid side has a 10yr 100k warranty, unless you're in a state using Cali emissions in which case it's 10yr 150k for the batt and other hybrid bits.