1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on car lifts

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

What is the best value when it comes to car lifts?

It won't be used daily, more for storage of a car off the ground. House is on pilings and the bottom level has break-away walls, and could be subject to flooding. Basically, everything valuable on the bottom level needs to be a few feet off the ground.

R/T Performance likes this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

@TLR67

For storage get a 4 post lift. The bonus is you dont have to anchor them and they can have caster added so you can roll them around.

GRH likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Don't forget to buy the drip pans if they are optionl. The paint on the car underneath will thank you later.

Rebel635 likes this.
  4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the side single post lift for a garage, but I've never used one or even seen one in person.

5. Venom51

Rquires a solid foundation. Easy to put into a new structure as part of the plan. More difficult and cost prohibitive as a retrofit.

6. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I've looked at a few of them and they don't mention needing anything. They usually have a pallet jack style lift to move them into position so they have a pretty large foot print under the vehicle.

There are several others but this one shows them being used outside and being rolled around in the product videos.

https://www.atlasautoequipment.com/products/lifts/specialty-lifts/psp-6000

7. Venom51

As long as you can drive over the support arms with no issue that will work fine. Most of the ones I saw when I looked were designed to keep the floor path unobstructed. That meant a prepared foundation pad for them.

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

This. For working on things I prefer the two post, but for storage the 4 post is much better.

9. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

That looks downright terrifying. Maybe it works great but looks sketch.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

And what does it cost ?

11. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

13. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

I have seen a couple in a shop onces you can actully move them with a car up.
    Looks scarry but actually pretty safe. i would safe drive on would be the best use for the op.
    There great for storage,alingments and oil changes suck for pretty much everything else you have to have jacks of some sort to get the wheels off.

14. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I have a 9000 lbs 2 post. Symmetrical arms. If you’re going 2 post get assymetrical. Really helps with getting in and out of the cars. And low profile pads. Jacking up the front and rear of cars gets old.

I’m gonna modify my 2x10 wood pads I use now with bolts that I’ll drop into holes I drill in concrete. Basically stop them from moving. If you don’t do that the tires just push them out of the way.

15. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Thanks for the info. 4 post is what I am leaning towards.

Any brands that are better or more economical?

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If Marc @TLR67 would answer his page he might be able to help. He has a family connection to a company. Its an asian import but the price was good. My uncle got one a few months ago. 2 post lift. It works well.

If budget isnt a concern some youtube car guys have Wildfire 4 post lifts. they seem nice and sturdy.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Don't get an atlas, they are garbage. We use rotary or bend pak. The atlas was scary to operate, had a few times the raise button would get jammed, had no overhead shut down protection. If we hadn't thought on our feet it would have crushed the car roof like a beer can. Coming down was just as scary. You could hold the thing wide open and drop the car from 7 foot down to the ground in about 3 seconds. 4 post is going to burn up a shitload of real estate as well, dont know how much you have but beware.

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Thanks…. Just been busy as Hell with work…. Yes that’s my Father in Laws core business…Let me know what model you need a quote on … provide your Zipcode and classify business or residential shipping.. pretty sure most all 2 and 4 post Lifts require a loading dock if not a fork lift at minimum.. www.tuxedodistributors.com

19. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Thanks, Marc. Let me measure the space to be 100% certain and I will message you after the new year.

TLR67 likes this.
  20. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Was this a 2 or 4 post Atlas? I have a 4 post Atlas and have never had any of those issues, but I only use it a handful of times a year to do oil changes or work on a friends car.