1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear brake caliper seized 600rr

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JonnyQuest, Dec 17, 2021.

1. JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago

Hey all,
    I took the rear wheel off my 09 CBR600RR and reinstalled it and tried pressing down rear brake pedal and nothing, just goes all the way down with no pressure. Brake caliper seems seized.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

No pressure usually means there's an air bubble in the master. Bleed it at the banjo.

3. JonnyQuest

I did and nothing. There’s absolutely no hydraulic pressure to the rear brake pedal, just the spring giving any resistance. I managed to pull the brake caliper piston out a little bit absolutely will not recess back in.

4. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

If the caliper were seized but the system was otherwise fine, you'd still be able to feel brake pressure though, yeah? The caliper would either be stuck closed and cause dragging brake, or stuck open and not fully or at all engaging, but because its stuck, you'd feel that as resistance when you push the pedal.

I'd guess that either (more likely) there's still an air bubble hiding somewhere within the system or (less likely) you've got some kind of issue with the master.

5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

If you can't bleed it, your master went bad.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Capt Obvious asks if the piston is stuck then he would guess the fluid has turned gooey and caused the issue?

So the point is eliminate the variables first then post your question here.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  7. JonnyQuest

Update:
    I used a heavy duty clamp to force the piston back in and heard a pop, then voila, it started working again, brake pedal had hydraulic pressure and all is right with the world.

8. JonnyQuest

Moral of the story:
    Honda’s repair themselves

bored&stroked and backho like this.
  9. JonnyQuest

Just to clarify, I had done all the above troubleshooting prior to posting my question.

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

How long since the last service of the rear brake system? I know a lot times rear brakes aren't serviced as often as the fronts.

From your description and fix, I'd say its time for a full tear down and rebuild. I'd bet that there is a lot of gelatinous brake fluid in there.

JonnyQuest likes this.
  11. JonnyQuest

I just flushed the system, so it had fresh fluid in it. But the bike did sit for a couple to few years in the prior owner’s garage. So I’ll plan on new seals in the caliper as well the master cylinder.

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Flushing it wont get it. I've rebuilt quite a few sets lately. Even after being flushed, disassembly showed there was still gelled up fluid, hard deposits, etc, still in there. I was surprised that the brakes were even still working.

Resized_20211023_174030.jpeg

JonnyQuest likes this.
  13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

fify

JonnyQuest likes this.