1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original CBR900RR's $$$

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn A., Dec 14, 2021.

1. Shawn A.

Shawn A. Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's crazy. The guy that bought the first 900RR for $52k was quoted in the comments say: "memories are expensive!" That must apply to go karts as well.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

My criminal speeding ticket in 2016 cost me $200. You got screwed.

3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Like I said, I think there were other factors in there that drove it that high. Trust me, I wanted to complain, but my lawyer said it was ill advised. Clearly my driving record at the time didn't help the situation. That said, $200 for a criminal speeding ticket? That's pretty much a regular ticket around here. Hell, red light camera tickets are $100. If it was really only $200, you weren't going fast enough!

4. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

You got off light!!

5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

We went to court, proved it was an illegal ticket, and still got called guilty. The wonders of representing yourself I guess. Judge told us afterwards that we did a dam good job and really impressed him.

As for not going fast enough, he got my buddy and I at 93 and 94mph in a 65. We could not argue he was lying as we were doing at least 140 when we passed the car he was not even occupying at the time lol

6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Pretty sure they look at it differently when it's a lower speed limit. So you were 28 over, but it was on a highway. If that was in a 45 zone or lower, they'd be far less likely to be lenient. Illegal ticket? Yeah, I've found that no matter how in the right you might be, the court isn't real fond of you using a technicality to get out of something you were clearly guilty of. I got popped on the way to Elkhart Lake, and they wrote me for 100mph in a 55. I was at the top of 5th on an ELR, so I know I was a far cry from what they wrote me for. They did NOT get me on radar, as I came up on them before they could get the gun up (this is a 100 years ago). So I made that point in court. The judge asked me if I'd like to rethink my statement, or would I like to just shuffle off to jail now. Was he bluffing? When you're 20 years old and watching a judge about to stroke out he's so pissed at you, you don't take the chance. Being too smart for your own good doesn't usually pay, and I've actually been let go for ridiculous speeds for just being honest. I got stopped on that same bike doing at least 120 in a 30, and when the cop asked me what the hell I was doing, I said "seeing how fast I can go before the end of this street". Got a warning but no ticket.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

I think what you got going on in the motorcycle world right now is a few speculators that are trying to jack their prices of their own bikes up by publicly trading them at ridiculous prices. I have a real hard time believing some of these bikes go for the money that they purportedly do.

This is what exotic car guys have done to pump up the price of their investments. The cars change hands on a public auction a few times at ridiculous prices and voila, everybody wins.

Zero faith in any of these auction websites or the TV ones for that matter.

Montoya likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

All it takes is a handful of idiots waxing nostalgia about some bike to ruin the market for months.

One idiot buys a CBR900RR for stupid money and every ass flap with one thinks their bike is worth $60K.

418 likes this.
  9. worldrider

worldrider Sophisticated Hillbilly

"The 900RR had loads of character, while the 929 was just bland."

The 929 was just bland?? Darn it! Thanks a lot for killing my resale value . . . lol. (I still, to this day, do several track days a year on my 929 . . . I thought that I had an albeit overweight beast on my hands . . . smh)

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The 929 was the most comfy, neutral, predictable and easy to ride fast big bore sportsbike I ever ridden.

11. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Well then, my BEAUTIFUL 2006 GSX-R 1000 must be worth $100K! Cough cough:crackup:

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

cha0s#242 and cav115 like this.
  13. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness