1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

A winner take all race and people are salty that Max went for the lead? Can’t get my head around that. If it were Marquez he would have put Hamilton in the dirt too. Any driver in that situation would have done the same.

Photo, DrA5 and diggy like this.
  2. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Max took those shots all year and it paid off. I'm not sure how you actually take the fight to a combo of LH/Merc without scrapping at every moment. Love or hate the result of the season or any part of it, but Max set about to take down a giant and did.

Edit to add: If we pretend all parties didn't whine all year, Max's tenacity and Lewis graciousness in defeat are the best parts of this season.

cpettit and Yzasserina like this.
  3. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

When tens of millions of dollars are on the line, i
    I'm waiting for the best part still to come: when Masi gets sacked for being bad at his job

racerx13, VFR#52, OutOfSpec and 2 others like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

At the end of the day, the constructors championship is what brings in the most $$, so Toto was at least happy for that

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

The rule however does not state that all lapped cars must must overtake. So perhaps the rule should read "all lapped cars must overtake"

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

That was the bullshit Red Bull was trying to push, if you read the whole sentence, it doesn't really hold up, especially when it inevitably goes court.

It also doesn't authorize them to pull in the safety car until after the last lapped car has unlapped itself, nor does it allow for them to pull in the safety car on the same lap that cars are unlapping themselves.

"If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car. This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed. Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap."

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    VFR#52 and Al- like this.
  8. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Holy sh!t, that's a lot of words. Who fucking writes the regs, Charles Dickens?

To me the best/worst part of this is that Christian Horner will forever live under the delusion that he is capable of running a championship level team.

9. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

So now we all know how great Charlie was at his job.
    This is the result of giving that job to someone who clearly has a favorite team or driver.
    Lewis drove a fantastic race and showed his true colors after the lose.
    Nothing but class.

Steven

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The 5 championships his teams have won don’t already show that?

DrA5 and rd400racer like this.
  11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Pretty good summary.

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

13. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Exactly, Red Bull was as dominant as AMG MB is now for a stretch. Horner didn't just fall into those four prior titles.........

14. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Saw this today - skip down to "what went wrong".

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/...1-crowned-max-verstappen-world-champion-twice

15. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Don't cloud my blind hatred with your pertinent facts!

:oops:

Totally forgot (maybe unaware) that he was even with the team back then.

In my defense cocaine is a hell of a drug.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Just read that Max will run #1 on his car, nice to see that. Last time it was done in F1 was 2014 with Vettel.

mitch100 likes this.
  17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

It was billed as much more of a Newey/Vettel effort in the days before we talked to Horner for half the mf race. The guy makes decisions in the era of the most data and least available strategy. Congrats to him.

18. rwdfun

rwdfun

Letting this stew for over a week to see how things went. I come away with 2 things that need to happen.

1. the ability for teams to contact the race director needs to be blocked during certain times. I understand opening a channel and asking for clarification after a decision and during normal racing periods but the fact that Horner could interrupt him during a safety car and clearly lobby for a result that benefited his driver was pure BS and Masi being too much of a pussy to tell Horner to F off he had a job to do which wasn't to provide entertainment but to uphold 1 safety and 2 integrity and application of the rules leads me to number 2.

and 2. Masi needs to "resign" (be fired) before next season and not be allowed in any FIA capacity where Merc competes. Merc shouldn't be satisfied unless that happens. We all know this commission won't publicly find any fault with Masi or how he applied rules for fear of being seen weak and opening themselves up to future issues but they at least need to have a race director that behaves like he doesn't owe the teams anything other than a safe and fair race. I nominate Sublet "Horner if you don't shut up you'll start at row 35 grass"

And if Max ever says "typical" after another decision doesn't go his way, he should get kicked in the nuts by every driver on the grid. He needs to shut up from now until eternity about decisions not going his way after being gifted a F1 drivers championship.

lazlo, Chino52405, Jed and 5 others like this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Spot on.

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

How to say you watch the races and pay attention to F1 without saying you watch the races and pay attention to F1. :D

VFR#52, BigBird and motion like this.