1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 Years Ago Kawasaki Revealed The Z1

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Dec 11, 2021.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Had a 75, the CB750 slayer.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I remember embarrassing several of them at the dragstrip with my '72 H2 750 2 stroker.....it was fun.

4. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Still have my ‘76.
    Carlsbad raceway was the scene.

YamahaRick likes this.
  5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

In '92 my friend's father sold me a fairly ratty '75 Z1. I spent two years learning about carbs, stripping old paint and reapplying new. I went from a 100 to that Z1. I was awestruck at the acceleration, near giddy. I had no idea what I had and sold it for a 200 dollar profit.

I thought it was junk and vividly remember dusting a CBR F2, and a Ninja 600. It was kind of eye opening, yet it still didn't click. That bike is my most regretted sale of all the things I've sold in my life. Damn I wish I had that bike back. :-(

6. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

bought this in a box and built it for the street.After some woman tried to kill me,I thought Id try racing it...I think those tires were the "new" radials Jim Allen gave me to try at the WERA championship at Roebling Road in '81 I think
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    JBall, motion, DesmoAndrew and 2 others like this.
  7. DesmoAndrew

DesmoAndrew Active Member

Love the Lesters on that Z1 Mike W .... and I imagine that 4 into 1 was obnoxious, as it should have been.

8. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

My first race at Road Atlanta in 1984, was the 6 hour National Endurance, riding the Robert Behn mono-shock prototype Team Wanker KZ1000 powered, 1982 overall National Endurance Championship bike. Never was able to hold it WFO through the Gravity Cavity my first time there, on that bike.

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Jim Allen, shit that's a name from the past....

I have a tenner that's a Kerker on there.... :D

10. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

If memory serves,I think it was an early Yosh

11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Hiroshima pipes are the bomb.

12. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

I was there .

13. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

This brings to memory a story my dad told me years ago when I was still racing. He bought a new Z1 back then. I was only about 2 years old. He would put me between himself and the gas tank and would do 0-100-0 stop sign to stop sign in the small town we lived in. He said he couldn't scare me....I would just laugh. He said he knew then he was in trouble. Man I'm glad I grew up when I did.

beac83, TurboBlew, motion and 2 others like this.
  14. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

I wrenched on those. God, I'm old...

FWIW, the '75 was the year Kawi finally came up with an attractive color scheme. Preceding were all mud browns and baby shit yellow.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Lol

I liked the 73 stripes the best and the 75 side cover emblems best.

16. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Yep .. also had a 72 H2 with a Denco Motor !

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Nope those I think were 291s or 391s and for sure bias ply tires

18. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

well,ol Jim did give me a pair of the then new radials and as I only raced this thing for a year and a half,I just assumed those were them as they look a lot rounder than anything I had on it before them

19. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

LOL I grew up the same way, sitting on the front of the seat with dad—just 20 years earlier, in the early 50’s, on his AJS Model 18CS, and his Square 4 Ariel. What amazing progress bikes made in those 20 years, from 25 hp singles to a Z-1, wow.
    Oh yeah, and riding along in Dad’s hot rods broadsliding around on dirt roads up in the Sierra foothills, urging him to go faster, and more sideways. What Mom didn’t know never hurt her, LOL.

20. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member