1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusing crash carnage

Discussion in 'General' started by metricdevilmoto, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Hey Mike, where on the track was the bike retrieved from?

Is there a chance the recovery truck yanked the bike from the back wheel?

@metricdevilmoto

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Single bike crash.

Just off the racing surface. Racer crashed with the bike and was right near it and rode the crash truck back with the bike.

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Seen that before, had crashed bike with dog bones bent. On this one both were bent to same side.
    Also seen couple shocks break/separate where clevis screws in.

backbone likes this.
  4. Ducati89

Wow. Odd for sure. Im curious as to the outcome.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've seen shocks torn apart, compressed to death and linkages bent along with the swinger. Never seen this, though.

Outcome is we'll fix it but I'll be tortured forever not knowing how it happened.

stangmx13 and mpusch like this.
  6. Ducati89

Well,Im really curious as to solving it so much that it hasnt effected another aspect of the bike that we cant think of at the moment if that makes sense.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Still have to wonder if anything else is tweaked. You would think the swingarm wouldn't come out of that in perfect shape but who knows

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Still had throttle open when back wheel came off the ground then stopped quickly when making contact with the ground during the slide. Could the sudden stopping of the wheels rotational force have enough inertia to do that?

9. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Yep, like I said, seen it before. But never without flipping. I guess it could have slip into something and got hit on the (top) side of the wheel to puish it that direction.

10. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

So what prevented it from extending further, and bending them more? And no internal damage to shock topping out hard enough to bend the dogbones?

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I think you should get the factory involved.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Steel is a wonderful material...in tension. In compression, when it buckles by going into plastic deformation, exceeding its yield strength, it offers little additional resistance. All that force has to go somewhere. What are the chances that it doesn't do additional damage?

13. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

That's some funny shit!

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

16. Ducati89

Not enough for me to put money on that at the craps table.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

With 90% of bikes encrusted with cameras these days you'd thing there'd be multiple angles of 4k video available to solve this mystery.

Oh yeah...
    "forgot to turn it on"
    "haven't got the aim dialed in yet- got 2 hours of my foot"
    "used it once then realized nobody wants to look at my shitty unedited raw footage and editing is hard"
    "just put them on to look cool"

stangmx13 and jksoft like this.
  18. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

This just popped into my head: was the bike possibly previously crashed, slightly bending the links? They'd be much weaker had they been previously damaged.

19. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Rear wheel hit something just hard enough to fully compress the shock, rear went airborne some amount with the suspension fully compressed and the inertia of the rear wheel moving toward the extended position was enough to compress the links when the shock fully extended? This only works if there was little or no damping from the shock in the extending direction, otherwise it would slow the travel of the wheel and reduce the inertia.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Have you sent pics the Kawasaki to see what they think? Their needs may be interested in odd damage like that.