1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

165 tire on 5.5" rim?

Discussion in 'General' started by xxaarraa, Mar 9, 2020.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It should not rub. Is it rubbing or you just see black mark from tire balls?
    On some bikes with S model swingarm with wheel forward it can touch. Some people switch to N model swingarm which is little longer and keeps tire away from part where swingarm starts bending in.

rcarson15 likes this.
  2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would recommend the 180/55 on the SV unless you like cleaning chain lube off your tire warmers. The 180/55 is a little bit narrower than the 180/60 per the Pirelli specs. Tire warmers without the side curtains help in this regard as well, but are getting hard to find. If you are stuck getting warmers with side skirts, Neoprene is probably better than spandex (not first hand knowledge, just seems like it would be better). Fortunately, I have an old set of CH warmers without curtains for my SV. If you are worried about retaining the heat without side curtains on windy days, you could get a set of wheel & tire wraps to go over the top. MotoD, CH and others sell them and are not that much of an investment for someone running slicks.

3. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Not could. Its does. Night and day on a supermoto track. A 165 michelin slick is the way to go.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The Bridgestone is designed for up to 5.5". We have it listed at www.stickboyracing.com That tire has been updated several times with the bikes changing. We win races and championships on SV's with 5.5" wheels every year with the 165.

JBall and RRP like this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hey stick
    Give me a link because I can't find a tech sheet on your site, but I'm drinking and cooking so...

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

stickboy274 likes this.
  7. stickboy274

What he said ^^^

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So I'm old and blind and with all due respect I found this on your site for the 165/630R17 Slick

"Rear Slick – NOT FOR USE ON STREET/HIGHWAY
    Standard Rim: 5.0″ / Appr.Rim: 4.5″- 5.75″ / OD (mm): 633 / TW (mm): 135

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    WEIGHT
    13 lbs
    DIMENSIONS 24 × 24 × 8 in
    COMPOUND
    YCX, YCY"
    So your site is saying the 165 slick has a TW (tread width?) of 135mm and you said up to 5.50 wide rim?

And on your site the Vo2 200/655R17 says this
    Rear Slick – Racing Battlax: NOT FOR USE ON STREET/HIGHWAY
    Standard Rim: 6.0″ / Appr.Rim: 5.50″- 6.25″ / OD (mm): 655 / TW (mm): 194

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    WEIGHT
    20 lbs
    DIMENSIONS 24 × 24 × 6 in
    COMPOUND
    Soft, Medium
    For this tire the sizing makes more sense but really this tire weighs 20 lbs?

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And does anyone have the Michelin data sheet?

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Given the dimensions, I would bet that is shipping weight in a box. Tires are not 24" x 24".

stickboy274 likes this.
  11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Digging up an old thread. Trying to compare width at widest point comparison for bstone 165 slick and pirelli 160 slick. Both mounted on 5.5 rim

12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pirelli 160 is not happy on a 5.5, the profile is terrible, get a 180/55 and be happy

13. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I have seen quite a few 690 Kramers running the Metzler 165 super moto slick/tires.

I have zero knowledge about it other then I saw it in the paddock a bunch and went “oh would you look at that”. GL

noles19 likes this.
  14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I've seen this also, and supermotos running a 5.5 wheel running them. Kayla yakoff runs the Michelin supermoto tires on her Kramer at lap record pace (for lightweight) also.
    Both have different compounds available too.

JBowen33 likes this.
  15. notbostrom

Would love to but the 180 won't fit in the swingarm

16. stickboy274

What's this for?

noles19 likes this.
  17. notbostrom

5.5 rim on the fzr400 superbike. It's the same rim that's always been on it. I've always run the 165 bstone but Mark wants me to test the 160 pirelli. Trying to figure out how the sizes compare.

18. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Kayla has an evo2s which has a 5 inch rear wheel not a 5.5 that is stock on R model.

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Understood.
    The Michelin supermoto tire does fit the 5.5 rim though

tl1098 likes this.
  20. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

She was actually the first person I saw have it.

noles19 likes this.