1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice maker for the track

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Nov 27, 2021.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I think your obsession with taking every opportunity to showcase your vast and unassailable expertise on everything prevents you from ever comprehending that a job that needs a hammer isn’t improved by adjusting the fulcrum point within +/- .25 degrees based on the barometric pressure 15 minutes before the hammer is swung.

But hey, let us all know what a better solution spending three days chilling water in a vacuum chamber to create the densest ice to dump in a fucking trackside cooler is.

2. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Damn. You really peened him in the balls with that one.

But, yeah, I don't think that the subject matter requires the utmost in heat exchange capacity. The salt idea probably would suffice for most weekend coolers. {assuming that the brine was disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner}

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

So...no CO2 fog for you? With your penchant for bad rock'n'roll I am surprised.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No, I never wondered that. :D Of all the weird shit to wonder about, the reasons why poor quality ice from a hotel melts fast is on that list pretty damn high. :D

But if you did, researched the reasons and felt the need to share that, you go on with your hopes and dreams of better ice. :D

7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Frozen jugs of water, I like 1/2 gallon size. They last all weekend and provide some real cold drinking water by Sunday. If you pre-cool the cooler with ice and water before loading that helps too. BTW that's the only way to get those claimed hours from a Yeti, Rtic, etc.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll still occasionally do the gallon jug half full frozen them top with water before working outside all day. Works great to have cold water most of the day without a cooler.

9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

the ones i was looking at are $100 - $150. 24-40lbs of ice in a 24 hours. about 1.5 - 2.0 lbs per hour. you pour water in them and they make cubes.
    i've seen some people have them in their RV's at the track

10. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Just when I thought a $200k mobile home was necessary for a beginner track day, now we need ice makers...damn...back to saving my pennies

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The 200k plus rv's should have a close to home sized fridge and ice maker in them :crackup:

Once a Wanker.., DBConz and BigBird like this.
  13. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i'm too broke for one of those. i'm sleeping in a 6x12 trailer at the track, and want to be able to top off my cooler after day 1.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

This is good news then..less pennies needed :D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, you buy a $200 model, the guy next to you will come with a $500 model and eventually that big dummy Broome will show up with some restaurant grade one that's been modified to produce enough ice to do up a bunny hill and ski down.

Arms race in the ice maker WERA wars.

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collections/bmx-hard-coolers

I've got a 52 and a 72 quart. 2 bags of ice over a cooler full of non refrigerated drinks (one opened, leave one more solid) lasts 2+ days. Longer obviously if the drinks are already cold. I usually do two bags at the first stop after hitting the road then one more Sunday morning or evening depending on fuel stops needed and then I'm good all the way back home and even an extra day or two. That's also with the cooler staying in the car in the heat.

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I've switched from ice to frozen bottles to hard ice packs. My shitty cooler stays cold for more than long enough now. Plus none of my food can get dunked.

18. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

The Woman was getting the Home Chef meal kit - they pack the box in some very nice gel-type ice packs. They appear to be very heavy duty and I used them all last season. Impressive stuff - each pack lasted far longer than the blocks of ice of was previously using.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Brine water makes good weed killer.

I see a future discussion about larger capacity generators happening here soon, after reading this discussion. Yamaha's provide more watts per dollar, typically, than Honda's do, fyi...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    BigBird likes this.
  20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

There was a poison ivy just off of my back porch.

I say 'was' because I finally found something that will kill that shit. ;)

There's a couple of vines trying to come up by the shed. I'll get those when it's warm enough to drink beer out there while I fiddle with fixing things.

BigBird likes this.