1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Do you mean which size would be better for trail riding?

2. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I will take a stab at this as a fellow short person. I think it depends on what kind of trails you ride, semi-technical or not. I am 5'6", had a size small Stumpjumper, when I was was going uphill around tight switchbacks I would often hit my knees on the bars which sucked. I bought a new size medium Ripmo, much larger cockpit which in turn was much better for going uphill around tight switchbacks, a little longer reach to the bars which was fine as well. Recently I was going uphill and was trying to get over a downed tree, I fell off and wacked my nuts on the top tube which according to the specs I had enough inseam to clear but the low part of the top tube is tucked under the seat post and you cannot physically slide back that far. It slopes up from the lowest part hence my nut problem.

That was a temporary, albeit painful problem, but I prefer the larger frame over the smaller frame for the type of riding I do and the trails I ride.

3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep.
    Knees or nuts. :(

4. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Fysa each manufacturer has different geo for their small, medium, large etc. So they are not directly comparable. E.g. a small stump jumper may be different to small banshee, small giant trance etc. The main two numbers you are looking for to get a feel for true frame size is reach and stack. Reach is the horizontal distance from bottom bracket to headtube, stack is the vertical height. The smaller bikes have lower reach which brings the bars (and front wheel) closer to the rider. You can find a bike you like the sizing of and then look up it's numbers, now you have a baseline. Buying just off numbers without riding it is not recommended, some bikes just ride different to how you think, even two running near identical geometry.

TurboBlew and jrsamples like this.
  5. bacolmm

bacolmm Well-Known Member

Jeff Kendall-Weed has an interesting YouTube video on this topic titled "Are clipless pedals cheating?! The waterfall shall decide!"

6. worthless

Fun ride on Sunday
    upload_2021-12-13_14-22-19.png

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

eclectic bunch...

worthless likes this.
  8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Like you I came from a road bike background. Went straight to clipless. Last fall was doing a really easy climb when I hit a slightly damp flat rock with the rear wheel. I went down hard on my side and broke two ribs. Friggin hurt like hell! Changed to the quick release pedals from Look. They are much easier to get out of quickly. Let my pain be your lesson.

worthless likes this.
  9. worthless

Can anyone recommend a decent service stand for under $100?

10. TurboBlew

Park Tool makes a home repair stand that runs about $180ish... there are hundreds of American industry IP knock offs, from the PRC, for less than 1/4 that cost.
    Or check your local CL.

11. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

If you have the scrap, time and inclination there's lots of diy options. I have an old park shop stand, works great but no way I'd pay that money new.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Any cold weather gear must haves?

Also, how are you guys cleaning your bikes? Coming from dirtybikes, a pressure washer is my first thought...

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Airplane ticket to a warmer destination.

14. eggfooyoung

I'd actually rather be cold than hot. I can put more clothes on. You can't get away from the heat.

15. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Be careful, seals and stuff on MTB aren't as rugged as a moto and you can do more damage than you think. I'm lucky it's just dust where I ride, I only lube the chain, done.

TurboBlew and Spooner like this.
  16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah don't get the pressure washer out. If my bike gets muddy I'll take a hose to it but nothing crazy, just to loosen up the dirt. But they dont' let us ride the trails unless they are dry so its usually just a quick wipe down after a ride to get the dust off and clean/lube the chain.

Oh and I just do base layers and have a pair of riding pants that are more of a shell than anything. I also really like the 100% brisker gloves.

17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

worthless likes this.
  18. eggfooyoung

I just ordered a pair, well 3, of these yesterday for the dirt bike, but knew they would be usable on the mtb.

19. TurboBlew

a nylon brush for the wheels/tires and a sponge w/ car wash soap for the frame & forks.
    A chain pig does a fantastic job on the drive chain. Or just a toothbrush with some diluted simple green or degreaser.
    Nothing more than standard hose bib pressure.
    A friend was washing his bike after every ride and siezed his pivot bearings nicely...
    After youre done... hit it with compressed air. Then your favorite dry lube.

ekraft84 likes this.
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not sure if it qualifies as a "mountain bike" but I just picked up one of these monstrosities for my new place to tool around on. I've never had a fat tire bike before. The damn thing looks alot more formidable in person than it did on the website.

[​IMG]