1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool suggestions: Vernier Caliper

Discussion in 'Tech' started by AMac, Nov 12, 2021.

1. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

Never had one, have been wanting one for a while. Now that I'm thinking about putting a slipper clutch in the SV I will need to measure stack height, so I probably need one.

What's a decent quality one that won't break the bank. Are digital ok? for measuring stack height, mm or .5 mm seems to make a difference from what I understand. Since I hit 45 and had to get bifocal contacts I suck at reading small things.

Thanks!

A-A-Ron

2. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I have a blue point digital that I have had for about ten years and it is very accurate when used correctly. If you are going out 3-4 inches it is important for accuracy to make slow, smooth movements to maintain accuracy. When I bought it I used a couple of standards from micrometers and checked the accuracy on a few before buying the blue point. A push of a button will toggle most of them from mm to inch.

As with anything they are good at what they are designed for and when used correctly. I will grab a quick check on used cylinders etc. when looking at buying as it will get you close enough to know what they are but that is about as "technical" I will get with one. I set clutch spring height etc. with them for sure.

The best advice I can give is to spend some time getting used to it before you need to measure something that matters.

3. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

Starrett or Mitutoyo 6" digital can be had for probably $150 or so. I have a few and have compared them to a $20 harbor freight caliper. They all read the same.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

My $20 HF caliper lasted about 10yrs. Now it shuts itself off often. It reads +0.05mm consistently. I'll probably buy another next time I go to HF.

Robin172 and OldSwartout like this.
  5. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I have a Mitutoyo digital that has been great for 15 years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their stuff again.

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We have a pile of them in the shop at just about every work station, at the lathe and at my suspension tables. They range from expensive to Harbor Freight and they all read the same. I only use the cheap ones when I'm working with forks or shocks because they get soaked in oil.

For measuring clutch packs, a $20 HF set will be fine. How you measure clutch packs is almost more important than the measuring instrument.

7. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

A vernier caliper has a vernier scale. These are not digital. To understand a vernier scale wikipedia has a good explanation. They are cool because they are mechanically simpler and old school. I like to hand a vernier scale caliper or micrometer to someone. Usually the response is a puzzled look.

Digital is the most common in these modern times. There are even all mechanical ones with dials instead of read outs.

Vernier scales require good eyes or reading glasses.

AMac and metricdevilmoto like this.
  8. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I've used HF calipers for years, since they were $6.99 on sale, have had a couple give up, just replaced them. They are accurate enough for daily measurements, not good enough for machining work.

9. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Been at this for over 50 years and have learned that quality pays and the cheap stuff costs. The digital calipers are more delicate than the vernier ones, but as another poster said they’re more difficult to see. I’ve had good luck with used Mahr digital calipers purchased off FleaBay for under $100 . The China Freight ones look like they were made in a cave by a blind monkey.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I like my old Sterrett dial caliper I got from my grandfather. Inches only, but I never have to worry about the batteries being dead when I need it.

svracer22 and dave3593 like this.
  11. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

I've used calipers from Mitutoyo to hardware store grade and if I had to choose, I would sooner buy a used Mitutoyo/Starrett over a new Chinesium.

Montoya likes this.
  12. zitoune

zitoune Active Member

13. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

Thanks all for then suggestions and education. For my use, I think the el cheap-o digital caliper will probably do.

dave3593 likes this.
  14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Only one, BLASPHEMER!!!!

AMac likes this.