New, wanting to learn about best parts

Discussion in 'General' started by CooperG3, Nov 12, 2021.

1. CooperG3

CooperG3 Member

I'm new to the scene and wanted to get into track days. I catch myself on the road going a little to fast too often and don't need to end up without a license. I don't know much about the racing scene and what parts are recommended and best and what value I'm getting out of the bikes I'm looking at. I'm very interested in any R6's that you might see. Don't want to over spend because I don't know what I'm talking about and I figured theirs no better place to talk! I do want to make an investment and would rather spend some money and get something that is worth it.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Racing is not the only path to getting off the public roads. A bone stock R6 and some track days should keep you out of trouble.

badmoon692008 and TurboBlew like this.
  3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Best bang for your buck is most likely a track prepared SV650 and some track days. If you like it enough you can move into racing from their fairly easily.

evakat likes this.
  4. CooperG3

CooperG3 Member

When i said racing i just meant track days. Sorry for the bad lingo

5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

You have an R6 and want to do track days is that correct, if so you don't need anything but good tires and good gear. Starting with some quality leathers.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, best parts are good leathers and safety gear. Once that is done go to suspension. Then worry about the other stuff.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

try to stay as stock as possible except for suspension, brake pads, & controls. If you decide to go racing then you wont be limited in the classes you can run.
    Also look into some instruction or peruse @khill gift to the sport... http://khcoaching.com/

8. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

As already mentioned, good safety gear first, then suspension and tires, then instruction. It’s important to learn good habits early so you don’t have to go about unlearning bad technique. Find and befriend some good racers (not track-day “winners”) and ask tons of questions. Get track maps of where you ride and take notes after each session. Be a sponge and learn as much as you can. Build a good foundation and good habits and the speed will come. Good luck!

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

All those guys above are wrong.

Best part a large bank account or high limit credit cards.
    Next a big as generator, preferably Coleman or similar
    Next pro grade leathers with your name and custom colors. Look fast, go fast. Add in a $50 goodwill helmet to complete the look.
    Transportation...minimum is a 3/4 toon diesel less than 2 yrs old. With major tune and aftermarket wheels, exhaust, errything. But really a 350 or 450 is preferred.
    Trailer....2 schools...a 20+ft enclosed multi axle. but only if you tow it with a car sized SUV. And ride a clapped out SV. the other end of the spectrum is a $50K doo-cat-eee on a $300 HF trailer being towed by a $90K diesel. There is no middle ground here.
    You'll also need a large canopy. Dont worry about weights or tie downs until your an expert or A group trackday guy. If it blows over the people near you will help out.

That should get you started or into bankruptcy. LMK if you have anymore questions.

10. CooperG3

CooperG3 Member

lol guys like this dude SUCK^^^
    I appreciate everyone else helping me out though. Ive found out quick that this is a cool community with people willing to help you out. (for the most part)

11. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Hey D.B. ... about time you surfaced and started spending some of that airline extortion money ... a track day on a Sutter MMX 500 , or two should be a blast .. :D

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Like joining WERA and racing :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Where do I find one?

14. motoracer1100

The guy with a number of exotic bikes is asking me ?? I don’t know . But maybe try the outfit that builds them for a starting point :D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

From Suter.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm too cheap to buy a new one. Thought I smelled a used one.

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

No, guys like you who can't take a joke SUCK.
    You obviously aren't a stand up guy, can't corner low, and didn't attend a prominent university. /oldschoolbeeblingo

Sabre699, Gorilla George and Boom like this.
  18. motoracer1100

Being able to smell out a 2 T is a lost art .... it’s usually an Old Guy Talent .. :D

TurboBlew, CBRRRRR999 and motion like this.
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Knock the sand out of your panties and don't report nonsense, I'm busy.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  20. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah and his post looks like a grade school drop out.