1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one live vicinity of OWB, KY. School me on it please

Discussion in 'General' started by humblepie, Nov 4, 2021.

1. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Anyone living in the vicinity of Owensboro, KY give me low down please. Is it awesome, is it shit, please lemme know..

And renting a one or two bed home with garage or preferably workshop.

Thanks In Advance people!

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What 'cha gonna do there, Dave? :)

3. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Well, I would rather not say out loud, but you know what I do for a living. Same thing. I am ready to buy a house again but this time not in Cali.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nice! What you can get house wise in KY versus Commiefornia for 1/3rd to 1/4rd the price is amazing.

Good luck!

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

OP, are you native to Smell A? If yes, the culture shock will be huge.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I live two hours away and have been there multiple times so I have a little knowledge.

For example I coached a game against Owensboro HS and beat them 18-0 in hockey. Yeah, we ran up the score :D

TurboBlew and Jim Moore like this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Paging Josh Owens (not sure what his name was changed to).

8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

From what I understand, a bunch of fast dudes in that town. Probably have lots of riding buddies.

Dragginass likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Don’t drink the water. It leads to racing championships.

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yeah but talking shit about Southern Hockey is like talking shit about how good Canadian bourbon is.

Southern Hockey = "on the spectrum" in the hockey hierarchy

:D

TurboBlew, BigBird, Itey and 4 others like this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I believe there is a family with racing connections that lives there, if I remember correctly. Someone here might remember who...

12. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Canada doesn't produce Bourbon to my knowledge, but we get by with our Whisky's.

Thankfully you Southerners make it for us and we pay through the nose for it up here.

As for Owensboro - 60,000 residents and within an hour or two drive from St. Louis, Nashville, and Louisville - those two stats alone would make it high on my list for a relocation base.

13. rd400racer

Which made it all the more fun when we went to Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Cleveland and beat their asses:D

GM GIXXER likes this.
  14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I can't give good details on the vibe of living in OWB, but generally:
    - KY weather gets a full 4 seasons. It hits 100* in the summer and 0* in the winter
    - I think that part of KY seems a little drab, as it's in a very flat river basin. I personally like some of the more rolling hill areas of KY. It does have some good hunting/fishing opportunities though.
    - It's a big town surrounded by rural area, meaning it'll serve as the hub for everyone to come buy stuff/do things. This isn't so bad on this part of the state. (Rednecks on the West and Hillbillies on the East of KY.) The good thing about being a "hub" for the area is a decent selection of restaurants/stores (at least for rural KY.)
    - 20 years or so ago I was there for a soccer tournament and was impressed by the amount of investment they made into their park system. Granted it's a much bigger town than where I grew up (an hour up the river.)

Maybe a better question is: what makes a place a good/bad place to you?

15. rd400racer

cBJr hit it on the head perfectly...it is a little drab. But to add to his excellent comments:
    They're famous for Owensboro style BBQ
    There is decent motorcycle riding all around. The Hoosier National Forest just to the northeast has great roads, as does much of the area.
    Pretty sure there's a fair amount enduro and mountain bike trails if that's your thing.
    Not much to add, typical midwest small town.

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I lived about 40 min outside OWB (on the Indiana side) for 7 years and OWB was the largest metro area to us.

The good - It's a major city so it has your major retail stuff and the regular chain restaurants.
    It still has a very small town vibe despite being a large city. Crime is pretty low.
    Hospitals are very good and healthcare in general in the area is very reasonable.
    Housing and land is still inexpensive in that area. Tons of cookie-cutter editions to live in as well as land for purchase.
    If you like to drink beer, hunt, fish, and roll coal. It's your wonderland.

The bad - It's boring AF. Its beautiful in the fall for 2 weeks, then it goes to shit and its nasty, gray, and depressing for 4 months until spring shows up for a couple weeks, then it's hot as balls.
    Despite being home to the Hayden's, there's not even a decent motorcycle dealer in town. You have to drive another 45 minutes to Evansville Superbike Shop to get anything.
    The job market in that area is good for skilled labor. Tons of open spots. The professional market isn't bad but you will probably have to drive to find anything north of the six-figure mark.
    And everyone there raves about the Moonlight BBQ place. It sucks. Just so you know.

Overall... If Busch Light was a city. It would be Owensboro.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    rd400racer likes this.
  17. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Is that a done deal? Have you ever considered moving to Alabama?

18. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

What is Owensboro BBQ?

19. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Roadkill mostly is what I heard

20. rd400racer

Liker Hyper said, not that good in my book. We took the entire team to Moonlight after a game and I didn't find it to be anything special. Then again, all BBQ tastes the same to me.