1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 jumping out of gear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Brutal, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

On jerez having the time of my life and the 2010 decides to start jumping out of gear, I think 5th gear.... Time to pack up or can I try and shirt shift and forget about times and concentrate on cornering etc???

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

has the shift linkage come loose? Otherwise youre looking at shift forks...

3. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I spent the afternoon checking over all the links etc and everything looked tight.

Is it possible I wasn't pushing it into gear hard enough and it was jumping out?

4. TurboBlew

it is possible but if the issue just started...

R6s can be finicky about the shift linkage angles.

5. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Oh well, gearbox knackered, HM SABS blipper shifter has now ruined 2 x 5th gears :(

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Kill times too short, not allowing a full complete shift?

7. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Both blipper and shifter is set to 70 ms

HM say that it may be because the bike revs to 18k and that a shift down is inhibited because if it blippes down at say 17k rpm from 6th to 5th it would blow the engine....

8. stangmx13

HM told you not to try to overrev on downshifts? Cuz it won’t shift if you try and you’ll bend a fork?

9. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

I don't rev on downshift bud, it is set to rev 40% throttle when I apply pressure to downshift, what HM say is that if I try to downshift frm say 6th to 5th at 262km/h the rev of the engine at that speed in 5th could blow the engine so it won't blip to allow me to downshift

10. stangmx13

So does the gearbox actually shift when the blip doesn’t occur because you hit the shift lever too soon? How hard are you trying to shift?

Sounds like you’ll save gearboxes and the blipper will work better if you improve your shifting skills. A little extra delay between applying the brakes and downshifting should scrub more than enough speed to prevent any chance of overrev or a missed blip / bad shift.

11. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

To be honest if thats what i have to do then id be better just going back to using the clutch to downshift, I got it so that I could come off throttle, brake and downshift all at the same time, but obviously the gearbox and enjoying my bike time os more important than shaving off a 10th of a second...........

12. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

You can't brake and downshift at the same time, unless you're lugging the engine / in too high of a gear during the approach. You have to slow down before you can downshift, other wise you, well, blow the engine or bend shift forks.

13. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Let me rephrase that - you can't START braking and downshifting at the same time. Once you've slowed down enough to shift one gear, you may still need to brake some more for the corner and/or the next gear.

14. stangmx13

Keep the blipper, fix your technique. The blipper doesn’t change proper shifting. What you are doing now will cause overrev instead of bent shift forks if you start using the clutch, which is probably worse. Perhaps your technique changed for the worse when you installed the blipper. So fix it.

15. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Oh well guys looks like i am to blame here then.....

I suppose without a blipper the first thing you do is close the trottle and apply the brake, where as with the blipper i am doing all 3 things at once.

Unfortunately the HM unit I had did have a faulty plug which meant sometimes the unit didnt work, so i could well have been downshifting without any blipper as the blipper and shifter would work intermittently, i found this out when i connected it up to the computer and when trying to set it up i wouldnt get any signal from the sensor then all of a suddon it would start working again, after i spoke with HM they told me they no longer use the plug because they are unreliable so its away getting the new part fitted.

Appreciate you guys chipping in :)

16. TurboBlew

how is your slipper setup? Do you still have the factory style??

17. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Yes mate just as it came from the factory

18. stangmx13

That slipper works a lot better if you trim some of the springs. Even if it doesn’t help with this issue, it’ll probably decrease your laptimes.

You should find a race shop to help out with all these racer tricks.

TurboBlew likes this.