1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How big of a difference do tire warmers really make?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Billy B, Oct 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I got that crap turned off. But here we go.

2019 MotoA
    Utah Race 1 P19 1:38 behind leader / Race 2 P18 1:31 behind leader
    Monterey Race 1 P14 1:25 behind leader
    Sonoma Race 1 P18 1:24 behind leader / Race 2 lapped

And here where it get interesting.

Barber Race 1 P19 Lapped / Race 2 DNS
    Rocco was doing three second slower laps on a 400 with less than 1/2 your horsepower.

What's the moral of the story?

YOU DIDN'T NEED TIRE WARMERS. :dead:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  2. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I've made multiple holeshots in Lemans-style starts at endurance races. At least a half dozen. Of course all three classes started at once and there were many factors that played into this, but I would routinely beat every single bike into the first turn. On one occasion I was about 50 yards shy of leading the entire first lap. Why didn't I stay in the lead? you might ask. Might have been the fact that I was riding a 300 Ninja. Whatever the bike, I would be insane to try and do that on cold tires so I used warmers. I don't consider myself an exceptional rider but I don't simply give up the advantage of starting with warm tires because it's inconvenient. I take every legal advantage that I can in order to try and win.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    FastByKids likes this.
  3. FastByKids

What org did Lemans starts? That would of been really cool if WERA did that! Back in the day I could most certainly beat those ole fast guys in a sprint!

Where you able to plug the tire warmers in on the track before the race started?

4. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

So as the original one asking the question in this thread, this pretty well sums up what I've gotten out of all of this exchange. If I'm just out doing track days to have fun without worrying about lap times or how fast I can get up to 100% speed in the session, then I'll be fine with no warmers. But if I'm racing in a competitive class or going to track days to try and maximize the sessions' value for putting in laps at 'race pace', especially on slicks that aren't designed to work at lower temps like DOTs may or may not be, then I'd be stupid to not show up at the starting line with whatever 'extra' heat I can have in the tires over just what the sunlight puts in them. And yes I also prefer cold drinks at the track and I'm willing to buy ice, and I went ahead and bought a set of warmers yesterday.

Thanks to all who responded, it was helpful for me in making my decision.

5. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

There are many things that we don't need. That doesn't mean there is no advantage to using tire warmers.
    SOAR in Canada. They're really fun!

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I’m still bummed I crashed in WUP that Sun in Barber and hurt my hand. I was P13 in that session after some big setup changes and way closer to the leader than ever before, hoping for the race of my life.

That pace is good to win an occasional expert race. So warmers or no? Youre done arguing that warmers cause unnecessary heat cycles?

7. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

That he'd be faster with warmers????

Lol. Did I win?

But serious question, if warmers give you a more consistent performance straight away, why not take advantage of it? Especially in your situation racing?
    Have you compared his results or riding impressions with and without warmers?
    Maybe he'd be leading by the first lap instead of following?

8. FastByKids

In all honesty in your situation I think you could of had the same results without tire warmers.

And yes, track day riders and the average club racer are unnecessarily putting heat cycles on a tire especially using DOT's. Do you use tire warmers before going on a street ride? That's my opinion.

And as for last weekend, tire warmers would of done NOTHING for the kids performance. Grids were packed, and if you weren't on the front row it took over a lap for things to sort out.

9. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

Ignorance is bliss?

10. FastByKids

Finishing last or near last in every race? At that point what difference would it of made? You call it ignorance, I call it statistical probability.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I know you are trolling....but...

He would have been much further, timewise, behind the leader without warmers.

At least with Dunlop the DOT's were the same rubber compound tire as the slick, but with groves.

12. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have been stupid for all my race years (20+ years) and never owned set of tire warmers. Maybe tires changed in last few years but I never had issue with cold tires.

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

FIFY :)

14. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Don’t worry J. I have a new found respect for the power of a tree falling.. and my drinks go in RV fridge.. my warmers are capits!!

Ducati89 likes this.
  15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Please people MUST have warmers or they will crash before they even reach the track!!!!!
    Bahhahahahahhaa Thanks for chiming in. ridicule will be coming your way next!
    Can some people just accept that people can actually race without warmers and not crash?
    Hell go look at any of my video's to prove thats absolutely false.
    Yet those who disagree just cant let a grown man make a decision for himself without someone belittling him.
    Its a personnel choice.
    This negativity doesn't help bring more people to the race track.
    It drives them away. The support system has gone to the shitter and this is exactly why.
    Think about this when a man ask for help.
    He read it and decided to make his own choice.
    Respect it and move on.

Steven

16. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Let's put a different spin on this: maybe heating the tire carcass slowly then letting it cool slowly keeps the tire from any damage from a cold tear or something similar? Maybe the tire incurs damage during that uber fast warm up lap when it goes from cold to hot so fast?

17. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

All kidding aside. If that little bit of heat can help you. Great.! I’m glad you got the warmers. I think of it as just another layer of safety for you at least. It’s a great question.

Truly you could talk to your local tire guy and start to understand what is the best pressures and set up for the Kramer.. hot / off track etc etc..

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

A few years ago WSBK SS classes changed from DOTs to slicks and the same for MA here. And most if not all of the USA/CDN race orgs followed this same path because it made sense to do so.

I'm not sure why the other companies haven't decided to make slicks for 300s & 400s but they may offer them in the future?

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

When was the last time you raced against pros and lap record holders? We’re you 3-4 seconds off their times, under 105%? Are your kids anywhere that close? Why are you comparing DOT race tires to street tires?

Your opinions are ignorant. Sounds like they based off guesses of how current experience will apply years from now when faster. Stop trolling in Tech. Someone may actually believe you.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

You're missing the point. Having warmer tires does prevent you from crashing in the first turn but it does provide a greater margin of safety before crashing. And it provides a performance edge. If I can go into the first turn just a little bit faster than someone that isn't using tire warmers and get a few seconds on them in the first lap then that person will have to work harder to catch me and try to pass. Getting the holeshot on your competition also means you avoid the first turn melee that takes people out. Most important (to me) is the confidence I have going into the first turn knowing my tires are warm instead of having to wait for them to get warm. Few experienced racers will argue that rider confidence is a huge factor in their performance. The last thing I do before going out on the track is to feel both tires with my bare hand to confirm the tires are warm. Even in club racing the advantages needed to win are often measured in tenths instead of seconds. So even though I have won without using tire warmers I prefer to try to win without one arm tied behind my back.

TurboBlew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.