1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windscreen fabrication advice.........

Discussion in 'General' started by Lee57, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Lee57

Lee57 Well-Known Member

Requesting tips to fabricate a proper windscreen from flat plastic......

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

For a race bike? I always just used thin plexiglass and a fresh pair of tin snips. You would think that it would crack, but I just taped both sides with masking tape, drew the cut, and had at it.

dtalbott likes this.
  3. Lee57

Lee57 Well-Known Member

Yes, for this upper:

Attached Files:

4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i worked on a bike that had an acrylic windscreen... it was crystal clear molded custom but boy did it crack easily. find an old windscreen, bust out a sharpie, draw lines, proceed to nearest cut off wheel and hand drill.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

become friends with Gustaffson?

6. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

#shervin

Ducati89 likes this.
  7. matt2491

matt2491 Well-Known Member

RSC has brand new Speedfiber windscreens for 100 bucks. Even comes pre-drilled, and fit my factory 125 upper fairing almost perfectly. I'd just buy that, but you do you.

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Tips to get a windscreen? Buy one.

If you really want to make your own, plexiglass becomes very pliable with heat. Get a good heat gun (not just your ol lady's hairdryer) and some gloves (you will burn your hands otherwise) and start heating and shaping. It is similarly easier to cut when hot.

But seriously, unless you're doing this for the fun of it (which I totally would get) you're going to spend less money just buying one.

9. Lee57

Lee57 Well-Known Member

I bought the plastic material to fabricate a screen >15 yrs ago and never used it, so now the only cost is time, and probably considerable frustration.

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

When you're done cutting and bending, make sure to polish the edges. 2000 grit paper.

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Use Lexan.

Canadian Bacon and Sabre699 like this.
  12. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I did one for a 60's era Windjammer, larger than what you need. Cut a couple pieces of 2x6 with the proper curve, bent a piece of thin paneling over it for a form, then just heated the plexiglass with a heat gun until it sagged down over it.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I know that this is overkill but I made a windscreen form that was exactly the shape I wanted out of thin aluminum, put a piece of lexan on it and threw it in the oven. I forget what the temperature needed was but I just slowly upped the heat until it started to sag and left it in until it was the desired shape. I think it was around 300-350 degrees. Heat gun is definitely faster for shaping though. As others have said, wear gloves or you will burn the shit out of yourself.

14. Lee57

Lee57 Well-Known Member

Thanks much for the tips, OldS and crashm.

15. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Yes, use Lexan or other polycarbonate. Plexiglass (acrylic) isn't as tough.

16. backbone

backbone scarred for life

You can blow it up like a balloon into the mold or clamp and press. Heat it in your oven slowly, it will bubble when too hot.

Better to buy one unless you are going to make 100 of them and sell them

17. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

That looks a lot like the upper for a Moriwaki 250 and you can order a windscreen that will fit, Zero Gravity, Speedfiber and Gustaffson are some companies that make them, here is a link to one on the Technical Sports One site:
    Moriwaki MD250H - Windscreens (tso.us.com)
    TSO also has screens for RS125 or NSF250R if it is one of those instead.

Here's a link to the Speedfiber one on Rising Sun Cycles website:
    MD250H Bodywork (rscycles.com)

18. AssClown

AssClown Well-Known Member

Attached Files: