1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America loves Formula 1 now - Thanks Netflix

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Oct 25, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

It's official, F1 has cracked America -- and this is just the beginning

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/32471853/official-f1-cracked-america-just-beginning

"Formula One's made a big statement this weekend this weekend in the U.S.," Red Bull boss Christian Horner said. "Big crowd, maybe a world-record-breaking crowd for Formula One over a grand prix weekend.

"Fantastic to see the American fans and public engaging in Formula One. We can thank Netflix, but without great content then it's not a good show, and I think the racing today really delivered and I think the fans are really engaging with what F1 can deliver.""

2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

How the F1 boys like the track this weekend? Any drama? I don't follow F1.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

me neither, but just popped up on ESPN and I was like at least it's not NAPCAR.

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Good friend was out there for it. Said it was stupid crowded, worse than a Superbowl.
    I took that as a good sign fanwise.

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I was last there in 2016 and thought the hill overlooking turn 1 was crowded..........it was nothing compared to yesterday.

Glad to see, and hope the Amazon Prime MotoGP series can have even a fraction of the effect.

6. NemesisR6

Seemed like they were on strict corporate overlord orders not to disparage it too much, but the cars were pogo-ing all over the place from turn 2 all through the esses.

But then again, that kind of stuff is more of an inconvenience to these guys that something truly dangerous like it can be for the GP blokes.

JJJerry likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

wish it was a netflix show because that has more reach it seems, but fingers crossed

NemesisR6 likes this.
  8. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

Is there any truth to the Amazon MotoGP series?

9. NemesisR6

Yea, me too. Definitely not nearly the reach, but hoping the better personalities and on-track action that GP offers can help draw some eyes. I will be promoting the hell out of it to my friends.....

Yzasserina and BigBird like this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There is absolutely no way Raikkonen, Alonso, or Vettel would hold back on anything they felt they had to say. Hamilton and Verstappen are almost as likely to speak up. If the track was still as bad as it was for MotoGP, it would have been very public.

My theory is that the fixes that they hurriedly planned between the two races improved things just enough to keep the drivers quiet.

p.s. Grosjean theorized on TV that the track broke Gasly's suspension.

NemesisR6 and Yzasserina like this.
  11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I knew more about the teams solely because of Netflix. Would I have liked more tech talk on the documentary? Sure. But I get it.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Didn't Lando also have some kind of failure due to curbing or something?

13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's been discussed before but why are our tracks more bumpy than euro tracks? We don't grind them down or repave as much?

14. NemesisR6

It's in production.

I'd look for the series to premiere in late 1Q 2022 ahead of the season opener in Qatar.......as it typically the approach used by Drive to Survive premiering in late Feb/early March to drum up interest in the upcoming season.

Circacee likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think that Lando was one of the three cars that retired. Or was he? :confused:

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

i think it was on Friday or something, don't think the race

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, I can't answer that. I barely paid attention during practice this weekend.

BigBird likes this.
  18. NemesisR6

CotA specifically is due to the underlying clay soil moving a lot due to moisture and the fact that Austin can see anything from searing heat to biting cold in the same year, and drought to torrential downpours. This makes the clay soil shift/expand/contract and the bumps emerge no matter what they do.

Most euro tracks are built on comparative bedrock with likely less severe weather extremes.

Steak Travis likes this.
  19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The other thing that was commented on by Jenson Button and Paul di Resta, a couple guys that know a thing or two about driving F1 cars (derp), was that the riders were commenting that the Istanbul track was so improved and smooth it was almost boring. IOW they viewed the manageable bumps as a challenge. Imagine going 200 mph and being a little bored, lol.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

yeah I thought it was pretty cool seeing them bounce a little in those turns. Made it actually look like they were on the edge. As a driver or motorcycle racer I'd rather have smooth but as a viewer it made me appreciate how good they are even more.