1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle Inspection/Appraisal

Discussion in 'General' started by dspaw, Oct 24, 2021.

1. dspaw

dspaw Active Member

I have found a truck that I am interested in buying - only problem: It is in Washington (state) and I am in Ohio.

Have any of you gotten vehicle inspections/appraisals in similar situations? This is a new one for me and I am not sure how to go forward. I basically need confirm that the truck actually exists and that the seller's description is accurate. Probably a test drive, and a quick look underneath. Nothing complicated.

Assuming everything is ok with the vehicle, how do you transfer money and title? I have no desire to fly to Washington, and don't want to get ripped off. Is there any kind of escrow service people use?

I would then have to get this thing shipped back, but that is the easiest part of the transaction I think.

2. karls

karls Well-Known Member

I have had a vehicle checked prior to flying to the location, test driving and then driving the vehicle back (Texas/Florida). I found a shop, called talked to the shop explaining what I was requesting, paying the shop for their time, then having the owner of the vehicle take it to the shop for a once over. Don't know about an escrow service. Best of luck!

3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

find one closer to home. Ski

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I had a M3 that I was selling, the person that wanted it was in Michigan, and paid a company to check it out. They did a walk around, etc, but they didn't drive the car or anything.

They said that they are not allowed to, or maybe since it was manual.

It's all a risk at the end of the day.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Any vehicle that wasnt within driving distance for me was either checked out by a local trusted friend or it just wasnt acquired.
    Flights are cheap... rental cars not so much and fuel is kind of inching up in cost. 2300 miles is kind of a haul... but if you really want it. I might travel with a cashiers check for less than asking & a few grand in cash to close the deal. I wouldnt make any arrangements until you feel out the seller. Lots of idiot flakes out there think they are going to sell only to a local market.

6. dspaw

dspaw Active Member

Thanks for the responses. Primarily looking for a specific vehicle outside the rust belt. You simply cannot buy a 15 year old truck that has spent its life in northern Ohio or Michigan, NY, etc. The salt/brine destroys them. So finding one closer to home isn't a great option.

I could fly there to look at it, etc., and could even drive it back. I may eventually do that, but it seems worth some money to get the thing checked out before spending more time and money going out there. At this stage of the game, I wonder what a 3 to 5 days of my life is worth.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Maybe it is time to move out of The Rust Belt.

Ducati89 likes this.
  8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

15 year old that lived by ocean will not be rust free. West side states are good for cars not rusting as long they are not from highway 101.

9. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

Have the local dealer do a pre-purchase inspection. Shouldn’t cost to much as long as the seller agrees to take it up there and have it done for you .

10. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

More details? PM if you want. We have a motorcycle dealership in the Seattle area, however my techs have an extensive automotive background.
    Happy to do more than a walk around and quick test drive. We can put the vehicle, and the seller, through the wringer. Have plenty of resources to vet the background and legitimacy of the seller. And also have good contacts for shipping.
    Let me know if we can help.

Banditracer, BigBird and TurboBlew like this.
  11. dspaw

dspaw Active Member

This deal kind of fell apart as the seller turned flaky. I did stumble upon the escrow.com service, which may come in handy down the road.