1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how's Kia these days???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I’m on my 2nd Kia and I’ve been very happy. I get my cars serviced at the dealership and no issues. I traded my 3 year old Honda in that was having AC and transmission issues, so I don’t swear by Honda’s anymore.

pjzocc likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

My wife has a 17 4Runner with 90k miles on it.

I love it, but ever since we got a second kid she’s complaining that it’s too small. For your situation - especially with the miles she drives - unfortunately it’s probably not a good fit. I think they just updated their larger SUV, but it’s like 100k

pjzocc likes this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I should also mention that:

No kids, one dog, and since the purchase and photo, we've moved to 5 acres in the country and have zero need to ever go camping again.

Size has never even remotely been an issue for us with an F150 and this vehicle, but bear in mind the parameters we require.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Get a Sequoia.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

2022 Toyota Sequoia/MSRP
    From $50,500

upload_2021-10-24_22-5-29.jpeg

I don't see where those are $10K 'more' vehicle than a 4 runner. Could be with 2 youngunz and 2 hounds, and activities... But not for me. I'd want to measure before I plopped down a month or two's worth of household revs extra.

6. Kia actually makes some very nice vehicles these days. I love the Telluride. I saw one a couple of weeks ago that was white with black wheels, it looked badass.

They are good looking, luxurious, loads of options etc. The problem is that they suffer from the "its a Kia" thing. When they started coming out with these new "higher end" vehicles, I think they would have been better off making a new spin-off brand. Sorta like how Toyota did with Lexus. Give it a new name and a new image.

Companies like Audi, Mercedes, BMW etc can get away with making cheaper, entry-level vehicles...because they still carry the name. Even if it is low priced, economical, etc...it is still a ______ (insert aforementioned brand here).

Kia is suffering from the opposite of that. They can come out with some nice luxurious vehicles, but its still a Kia. It is (unfairly) judged by the cheap shit they have made forever.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

But they have a new logo!

upload_2021-10-25_2-57-57.png

Everything I see a Kia, I think this ...

[​IMG]

Or this ... remember this? Actually more related to the Yugo or Trebbie, but close enough.

[​IMG]

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said.

But, they did.

Genesis Brand is Kia's/Hyundai's (same company) Halo Brand for those that absolutely need that premium cache attached to their vehicle purchase.

Here's their first SUV in the Genesis lineup:

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/2021/genesis-gv80.html

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I enjoy my Durango R/T 2019

If you don't like the V8, the V6 can handle the job you are looking for.

Attached Files:

pjzocc likes this.
  10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Looking forward to taking that 300k mileage pic on our '05 Toyota Sequoia soon. Regular maintenance, which I do 95% of, and that's it. If it ever dies, I'll try to find another. The best part? It's been paid for, for about 10 years now.

auminer and BigBird like this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Serious question - why? I know there’s lots of people like that and I don’t understand it.

BigBird and Paige like this.
  12. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it's the image associated with owning a minivan... You know, being a soccer mom and what not ! lol

BigBird likes this.
  13. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

People care more about what people think of them than they want to admit. A minivan is just smart in most situations with kids. I drive one because we travel so much with basketball and I love it! We tend to have teammates that need rides and then being able to stretch out on the long rides is awesome.

R Acree and BigBird like this.
  14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

They did it's called Genesis lol

15. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

We've had our 2010 Toyota Highlander since new and now with over 130K miles it still doesn't skip a beat. It's about ready to have some wear-and-tear items replaced like CV joints and shocks/struts that should help keep it going another 100K+ if we wanted it too. Wife is ready for an upgrade simply for newer tech, so we might be selling it and getting something for our daughter who will start driving next year.

The 3.5L V6 it shares with a ton of other Toyota models (4-runner, Camry, Tacoma etc.) is a bit long in the tooth but it's damn-near bulletproof. Third row seating is fine for small people in a pinch, but otherwise lots of space and room for gear.

pjzocc likes this.
  16. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

How about the 2022 Grand Wagoneer? 10 screens and enough electronics to warrant pitching a permanent tent at the service department. Oh, and only 100K, for a Jeep!

BigBird likes this.
  17. Shows how much I follow Kia. :crackup:

18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

We went from a Yukon to a Palisade (Hyundai version of the KIA) Here are our thoughts after 15 months of ownership:
    • We have 3 kids (3, 5 and 7)
    • The Palisade seems to have more 'useful' space than the Yukon
    • Shoulder room in the Palisade is not as much as Yukon but does not seem to be an issue
    • Driving is fine - wife finds it more maneuverable than the Yukon - sits lower so easier to load/unload kids and groceries ect.
    • Power is adequate but we do no pulling with it. I believe the pulling capacity is 5k lbs but do not hold me to that.
    • Palisade has more tech and features than the Yukon without getting into the Denali range for 90k
    • Fit an finish is superb as well as ride quality
    • A tad noisy in high winds but negligible over the Yukon
    • Interior seems to wear faster or worse than the GMC - its not bad but you can notice it more than the Yukon. So if purchasing something to consider
    • 3rd row in std. length Yukons is useless due to the floor height being high which was a big factor moving to the Palisade. The Yukon XL does not have that problem
    • Only problem thus far is one strut on rear liftgate failed. We are awaiting a part. Aprox 3 week wait time.
    I preferred the higher body on frame of the Yukon but this is not my vehicle. Wife loves it for what she does. Overall happy with it. Doubt I'd purchase one at the moment but leasing I feel comfortable. Rides nice, looks sharp, good storage and usability If you want a higher vehicle and tow seriously with it I'd go Yukon/Tahoe. For everything else Id say its a better vehicle and better value prop.

Any questions let me know.

pjzocc likes this.
  19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

4Runners are tiny inside, coming from a suburban it will feel like a Mini Cooper. The Sequoia brings in that Toyota reliability but also all the negatives of the ‘burb without the best part, all the room when the the last row is up.

7.3 Excursions are higher than giraffe pu$$y, especially right now. I look at them on a regular basis.

When I was selling cars Kia was the best bang for the buck used car. The warranties for a few of them were class zero and one, categories reserved pretty much for Honda and Toyota. I’ve had friends that had a Telluride and a Stinger. Zero issues with either, very happy and would buy again.

My SIL on the other hand had a small KIA SUV, can’t remember the name. It was in the shop a fair amount from the get go with some pretty expensive repairs once out of warranty. Kia ended up buying it back at like $10,000 over what book was at the time because of a class action suit that had something to do with spontaneous combustion driving down the road. She bought another Kia then it had a recall pertaining to the same issue…she traded it on a Jeep and lost her ass on that one!

All that said I’d do a little research and as long as it’s not part of a class action suit I’d have no issue buying a Kia.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Keep the Suburban.