1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 cams / intake build

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gino230, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The new MA rules for SuperSport have got me thinking- first thought was a V2 to dip my toes in the Supersport pond, but cost is pretty high. They haven't even approved an exhaust for it yet. Just the bike with case covers, bodywork, suspension is gonna be over $25k

Wondering about modding my '13 R6 to the new spec. Has anyone built an R6 with these mods? Blending of the valve seat /port, cams, velocity stacks. What kind of HP bump can I expect? Or is it more of a shift in the power band?

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I guess it all depends on what cams MA allows.

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Built a WSS spec R6 with kit cams and ported head for 2010 WSS in Utah, made a little over 140 hp. On an honest dyno. Midrange was about the same, power on top was much better, didn't fall off as much at 14.7K rpm. Keep in mind that head could cost you $4K and if something goes wrong, it's scrap metal.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I heard GYTR cams, which are $1000 each (price capped) you would need to also do valve springs.

I am curious about headwork. A 600cc bike making 140hp is pretty crazy.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yes, you need to do valve springs and retainers, YEC makes those as well. The cams are asymmetric, which makes timing more interesting.

7. Gino230

The "porting" allowed by the rules is pretty minimal, only extends 10mm into the head from the valve seat. Having never seen the inside of one of these heads, it *sounds* like the idea is only to add epoxy to the area to smooth the flow.

We'll have to see what cams are listed, as @stangmx13 says, lift is limited. Not sure what asymmetric cams means- Different duration for each cylinder?

My '13 R6 makes 121 on pump, with exhaust, YEC, thin head gasket. On the same dyno, A bone stock V2 with 3 miles on it made 142. That dyno reads a little high, but getting a 7-8 HP bump for the R6 would be nice.

I rode my buddy's full Livengood build R6, made 141 I believe on MR-12, a little less on U4.4. Probably won't run on MGP. It's fast, but I noticed it pulled harder in the midrange. Pretty nice engine, but I think it only makes peak power for about 5 weekends- and it wasn't cheap. That build is really not in the same ballpark as what we're talking about here.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Asymmetric cams have different ramp profiles for opening and closing.

Daytona pole winning R6 made around 128 on my dyno on spec fuel (AMA and SBK had similar benign fuels then), so it reads a lot lower than some. Porting on the old WSS was unlimited, there was quite a bit of work done, took 30+ hours. Sounds like MotoAmerica porting might get you 2-3 hp, but a lot less costly. Add cams and you might get the 7-8 you suggest if tuning is good.

RightSideUp and Gino230 like this.
  9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

FYI, Attack is building a bunch of MA 2022 supersport spec Yamahas. 40k

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Ouch, but maybe not bad considering the price of the track-only R6

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the "track ready" one doesnt have any suspension.
    I wonder if the attack bike will also come with a little bit of support. I know Richard said before that people that bought SBK bikes from him get some maps and base setup if they want for the MA races.

12. Gino230

Do they send the heads to KWS? :crackup:

DBConz likes this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

EDR...

14. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Really depends on the level of the build.....suspension, electronics, data, etc.....

stangmx13 likes this.
  15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

So about the same as a competitive Twin with a spare engine or two?

E Reed and Gino230 like this.
  16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what twin.
    Some of the Aprilias this year were pretty close to stock.

17. Gino230

I was speaking to my tuner about the stack options, and he told me my '12 R6 already has the '08 stacks- which are tuned for more peak power. Not sure how this compares to the graves or similar options.

Still no word on cams....

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

bone stock...

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I bet Stanboli knows, and probably has a stack of them on order.

20. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

haha yes, the one I know about had a bone stock motor, that never had been opened or even tuned.