1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 1198s, should I buy one?

Discussion in 'General' started by buzz-06, Oct 21, 2021.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

3. rd400racer

Yeah, I'm guessing that build was $50K+, but I don't know shit as far as what those components cost.

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Absolutely love the looks of the 1098. Have a little die-cast on the desk of one. But when it comes down to $$, I'm pretty sure I'd buy an RSV or the funky RWB Tuono factory to live with instead.

5. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I raced 1098, 848, 1198 fir a couple years.

I had a 1098 as a street bike. Incredibly uncomfortable. Extremely hot to sit on abs I lived in PA at the time.

As @metricdevilmoto said…
    As a race bike you need lots of set up data and special parts or it will turn like a snowplow, fix that and then you can’t get on the gas, etc etc etc.

I love the way they look but I’m biased to me a 916 is the best looking “SuperBike” ever.

If you buy a 1098 make sure the main bearing has been replaced and upgraded they all fail. They fixed this issue with the 1198.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Gino230 likes this.
  6. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

They're like HOT Italian girlfriends. You have to suffer for your sins, ya know.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  7. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

8. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

Haha. Your 1098 is the one I bought with 300 miles and promptly sold when I fell in hate with it. Beautiful bike, but what a bitch.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The 916 is aesthetic perfection. It will never be surpassed.

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

When it comes to Ducati, the answer is always no.

Except the V4. That thing is sex.

11. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

This will most likely be a short lived bucket list purchase. I’m not overly worried about maintenance as long as I have a service manual. I’ve just always drooled over these bikes since I first got into riding/racing/trackdays back in 2009.

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid: Other manufacturers have tried to make a machine as sexy as that skinny Italian girl and none have been able to accomplish the task.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  13. rd400racer

The MV Agusta F4 was pretty damn close

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:stupid:

15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

16. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

CB324111-5AF6-481C-A7F6-AEF529B7A1AE.jpeg Another first time Ducati purchase .
    What could go wrong?

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

acorn27 likes this.
  18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Well, it was designed by the same guy that did the 916. The problem is, once you achieve perfection, what do you do next? Harper Lee never really wrote again after To Kill a Mockingbird. Her legacy remains unsullied.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Makes Tamburini that much more impressive. He did it twice!

rd400racer likes this.
  20. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

He also designed the original MV Agusta Brutale, which is considered by many people to be the best looking of all naked bikes. I have a Brutale 910R and it is like a hot knife through butter on a mountain road.