1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Generator Service?

Discussion in 'General' started by hank748, Oct 18, 2021.

1. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

My Honda EU2000i is now between 12-15 years old. I change the oil regularly and even clean the air filter. She still runs fine, but given the age, maybe she needs some TLC?

When (if ever) should these things get serviced (new spark plug, etc.)? There is a small engine service shop in town and the guy does a brisk business with lawn movers, snow plows, etc. - he appears to be very capable and has a great reputation.

What does the all knowing Beeb say when it comes time to genny service (if ever)?

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I change the oil every year reguardless of useage. The air filter when it needs it or every second year, and the spark plug every couple of years. I have found that the foam filters some gens use start to break down after a couple of years. Run non alcohol fuel (I use Gulf Pro Fuel, but that is'nt available in the US right now) and I also exercise it during the winter. I run mine until it is nice and warm to boil off any water that could have gotten in the oil.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Does it start? Anything falling off of it? Is the voltage and frequency still in spec. Do what you have already been doing. If it gets used infrequently pull it out and run it for a half hour, drain the tank and put it away.

If you want to test the output voltage and frequency a Kill-A-Watt is handy to have around.

4. hank748

Thanks!

I also found a YouTube video and it just had new oil, clean filter and new plug... nothing about carb adjustment.

I'll check the power output, which I assume is also still in spec.

Thanks again :beer:

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you should update it with that switch from Hutchmountain so you can run the carb out of fuel instead of having to open the bowl up to drain.
    Other than getting a tri fuel kit so youre never out of fuel options... they can sit for years and fire right up.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Change valve lash to factory spec and be amazed how well it runs

7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

My spark arrestor screen puck thing plugged up on my cheap knock off. Clean that if youve got one

backcountryme likes this.
  8. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

OP, how many hours are on your generator?

9. backcountryme

I use an alkylate fuel in my gen and my bikes actually. And I leave the carb wet. The fuel can sit for up to 5 years and not go bad or leave varnish. Also, just FYI, if you go with gaseous fuels you will lose power. The rule of thumb is you lose 20% power over gasoline. This can effect the wattage and amperage that the generator can output at high load.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. backcountryme

That is often overlooked on equipment. I have seen a ton of chainsaws and other handheld equipment come into shops and the only thing wrong was a clogged spark arrestor.

11. TurboBlew

the trifuel is just an option should you run out of pump gas...

backcountryme likes this.
  12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Is there a problem using Sta-Bil ?

13. TurboBlew

yes??

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Gee thanks, that helps a lot

tony 340 likes this.
  15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I tend leave a plastic tank dry and run the carb dry. My shit starts when I need it to do so. I leave by big one full as it is a metal tank but still run the carb dry. I pull mowing fuel out of it so the fuel never stays in it too long.

malamute and tony 340 like this.
  16. TurboBlew

no reason to store them wet. If you must then refer to post #9

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Same.

I fill them with fuel stabilizer, then start them and walk away until they're empty.

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Just to be clear, I was referring to Sta-Bil storage .
    1 Generator is hooked up to run the building incase of power outage.
    Another is portable. Roto Tiller, riding mower, 2 stroke chain & pole saws.
    I've been putting it in the fuel for several years now.
    Generators get started once every month.
    The rest sit all winter. Never a problem starting in the spring.
    I bought 30 gallons of unleaded premium {non ethanol} when the price was under $2.50 a gallon. Not about to unnecessary waste fuel.

19. hank748

I leave 100 LL (AvGas) with a bit of Sta-Bil in her all Winter and never had a problem starting in the Spring.

20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Hour meters are very helpful, if you have a quality name brand generator. My 1984 Yamaha 2800 watt commercial generator likely has well over 1,000 hours. I wish I had put one on it, earlier. I always run the carburetor dry, but this still leaves a bit of fuel in the float bowl. I'm switching to VP's or Stihl's fuel for storage. I'll keep alcohol free fuel in old race fuel metal cans for extended power outages.