1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craziness “MMA” related

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

So one of my longtime friends who is an MMA/BKFC competitor for the last 15 years.

well a month ago, he knocks dude out, when he falls, breaks his neck and paralyzed him.

well yesterday the dude died from complications.

I can’t imagine, even though you know the risks but that’s just movie type shit.

I would imagine there’s no legal ramifications as even his family has acknowledged the danger in this sport.

sucks so bad though. Other dude had kids I believe.

2. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

Major bummer, but what can you do?

At least on a motorcycle we get to wear helmets and such.

3. Robby-Bobby

Very true. He’s beyond his prime (UFC) but he’s been making bank in the lower arenas.

mom hopi g it doesn’t hurt too much mentally. Definitely going to be a hurdle to overcome

4. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

sanctioned fight I assume?

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

6. Robby-Bobby

Promoted by Jorge Masvidal with Bare Knuckle Fighting. Not as legit as UFC, but they are legit, assuming they still operating after this. E60077FC-3434-4D9C-B53A-6665C9088261.jpeg

7. Robby-Bobby

Sorry my bad got my wires crossed. Masvidal is Gamebred fighting.

8. SteveThompson

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Easy for Dana White to shit all over this league, but there's very few avenues for these fighters to make a living. These guys know the risks, but I'm sure not many of them think of death as part of the game. Sucks.

10. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

That’s some shameless self-promotion by White. To quote the man himself, “Is anybody shocked?”

11. SteveThompson

Yeah. He’s ridiculous, but his behavior kinda makes the point. The sanctioning body should keep the promoter in check. It’s, I think, the big question from that BKFC fight. Why did they sanction a 38 year old with a record of 6-18 against a young killer with a record of 11-1?

Montoya likes this.
  12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

A highschool buddy of mine was a professional boxer for a short time when we were younger. He fought Greg Page, a fella who held on for far too long, and knocked him out at the end of the fight. The venue was sketchy as hell, and Page suffered a brain bleed and stroke which basically incapacitated him I believe. Dale wore that on his shoulder, and it just furthered his downward spiral. He's in prison now for beating another friend to death, and putting him in a dumpster.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Money?

14. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I know that sucks.. but every single person alive realizes that a single punch “can kill”.or permenantly damage someone.
    Many years agoI knew a skinny dude ( NOT) a friend whom was all of a whopping 5’6 who punched his girlfriend who was a athletic Rock climber....
    Broke her jaw, and caused her her to choke on her tounge , she would have died without her brother.
    I watched another get his windpipe crushed in a bar parking lot similar injury , they had to cut his windpipe right there to save him. One punch is all it takes in some cases, to the temple ,throat, neck ..kicks inflicted either during a fight or administered after one in on the ground are many times more dangerous-and potentially fatal..
    But that’s who many of us are, and many accept it as normal or rational.
    Love it or hate it.. it’s barbaric and disgusting at the core.

15. SteveThompson

This is where Dana White kinda has a point. The UFC has been putting on fights for about 3 decades and, to the best of my knowledge, they have never had a life threatening injury.

16. For sure, I cannot imagine. He also has to realize they both knew the risks going into it, no different than a buddy passing away racing. You know the risk and have to accept it. Much easier said than done though.

17. Robby-Bobby

Maybe do a little research before spouting, Dillon is a warrior but he’s also like 40 or 39. Hardly a “young killer” when he was older than the other dude.

18. SteveThompson

Oops. Sorry. He’s 39. He looks a lot younger than Thornton in the pictures I saw.

I saw an article this morning that said Thornton died of pneumonia.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  19. Robby-Bobby

Yea he doesnt look older. And yea Thornton was not a proper fit skills wise.
    They fought years ago and Dillon handled him easily and Cleckler has only gotten better with age where Justin was unfortunately a card filler.

the pneumonia was apparently a result of the sickness and paralysis from what I understand. Obviously I’m not a Dr but I do agree that fight was very odd and I think Justin wanted to hold on a few more fights.

luckily his family and friends knew the risks and are accepting the life he chose.