1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any 3rd gen 2016+ Tacoma owners?

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Sep 27, 2021.

1. smooth

smooth Well-Known Member

That’s exactly the route I took, extended cab with 6’ bed for bikes and stuff. The back if the cab is no good for adults but I just put gear back there. 06 TRD sport with 160k. Virtually no issues.
    Strangely, had to replace the front wheel bearings at about 70k. No other problems

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

fuel pump recall but, it is a recall, and free so... rusting frames, metal, make sure to get rustproofed (not undercoated), re: fluid film, woolwax, cosmoline, rust free etc...

the sport will have a stiffer ride, not softer, than the offroad and the pro. if you look at the shock, spring, wheel/tire packages, it will make sense. sr5= base model, sport= on road "performance", offroad= just that, offroad, pro= full monte, offroad and then some. good luck in your quest. I love mine. if you end up hating it, they have some of the best resale values ever, and you wont lose much, if anything to sell it. Ski

3. Trandyd

Trandyd Well-Known Member

Have a 20 trd sport 4x4. A quick kdmax tune will solve the power issue and makes shifting better. No problems at all with mine. Carmax offered me 2500 more then I paid after owning 7 months.

4. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I will say, the extended cab is all I really need but the suicide doors suck in a parking lot if someone parks next to you. It can make getting into the rear a real pain in the azz. Sometimes I wish I had bought the double cab, that's what my 2nd gen was.

Also, I've never had one so I don't have a reference but any box under 6' doesn't seem practical.

5. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

I was in the market for a mid-sized truck and test drove the Taco and just didn't like it. The seating position was goofy (not height adjustable) and the engine and trans were just... lethargic. Drove the Chevy Colorado ZR2 and was blown away by how much better it drove. Still... Chevy vs Toyota reliability and resale, right?

Anyway, I punted for a few months and then test drove them back to back again. Yeah, no contest. I bought the Colorado. Loved it. It did have a B-pillar rattle that Chevy could never figure out so I ended up just fixing it myself. Otherwise, great drive. Loved the engine and trans, loved the infotainment system.

Ended up trading it after 2 years for a Nissan Titan (needed to tow more). Actually got more than I paid for it in trade so.. worked out. Would gladly buy one again.

sharkattack likes this.
  6. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I also bought a ZR2. So far I love it. I wanted to like the Tacoma, I really did. But in the end, the ZR2 win me over with the seats, power, equipment that was standard, and the looks.
    The current Gen Tacoma is not in the same leagues as prior gens for reliability. Most Tacoma owners are fiercely loyal and will never admit shortcomings their truck might have. I got a great deal and am very happy with it. As far as resale, the ZR2 (which is not your average Colorado) holds its resale value quite well.

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

funny, you guys liking the colorado/canyon seats... that was THE deciding factor, on our not getting one. unless you went to the super high end trim level, they were not comfortable at all. and the rear seats... yeah, NO!

I am really glad, every time I see a colorado/canyon (especially when the dufus driving it, removes the front valance, bumper for something god awful), that I went with the Tacoma Sport.

in the end, they all have good features, and bad, great things, and terrible things. that is the great thing in Murica', it is YOUR choice, your money. Ski

OldSchlPunk and sharkattack like this.
  8. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Here’s a new topic: the manual for my 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 DCB 4x4 states that for pulling a trailer that does NOT have it’s own brakes that the weight limit (unbraked TWR) is 1000 lbs. However, don’t most smaller enclosed trailers used for track duty NOT have electric brakes? I currently use a two bike Kendon trailer for bike transportation, and the trailer (350#) plus one motorcycle (440 #) plus some crap in the front storage box keeps me under 1000#. However, a second bike puts me over! And if I was pulling an enclosed trailer (i don’t know …5x8 or 6x10) I would really be over! I really don’t understand what the deal is with these 3rd gen Tacoma’s. My previous tow vehicle was a Honda minivan and it did an excellent job! I only bought a truck this time to open the option for an enclosed trailer some day. Guess I either got the wrong truck, or maybe one shouldn’t read the owner’s manual!?

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

whats the GCWR? Is it an auto trans?

10. duc995

duc995 Yep…

GCWR 11300 #
    Automatic transmission

11. duc995

duc995 Yep…

I was just looked at my old Honda Odyssey tow vehicle and the manual also specifies an unbraked TWR of 1000#;
    never knew that in the 13 years I owned it!

12. TurboBlew

Probably one of those legal things... even fully loaded my 6x14 wasnt more than 3400lbs

13. duc995

duc995 Yep…

According to my manual a “sway control device” would need to be installed for a loaded trailer over 2000#

…never seen that at the track.

14. TurboBlew

My only concern would be on long grades which I would take out of OD. Ive never seen a Taco with a weight distribution hitch...

15. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

So I ended up buying a used ‘21 TRD Sport double cab in dark silver metallic. Super low miles and under MSRP, so not terrible in today’s market. It’s a nice truck. Rides nicer than I thought it would after the test drive. Power and trans are just fine for my uses. Pretty nice features in the ‘21. Already looking at the world of aftermarket custom stuff. I’m gonna miss the old first gen ‘02, it was sad leaving it at the dealership, but this new one should serve me well.

sharkattack, Bloodhound and trussdude like this.