1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIRE QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kevin E., Sep 25, 2021.

1. Kevin E.

Kevin E. Well-Known Member

I have an 03 SV with what I believe are 06 gsxr 600 rims. My question is related to tire wear. It is my understanding that both the front and rear tire should be about even in the amount of wear relative to the edge of the tire. Meaning, if the wear is just about all the way to the edge on the rear it should be about all the way to the edge on the front. You can see in the two pictures below this is not the case for my tires, and they are a matched set of Rosso Corsa IIs. Also, I have the same tires on my 959 and the profile of the rear tire looks much flatter on the SV when compared to the 959, which has the same tires. Is it possible to rear rim it making the profile too flat? Which would mean these are not the best choice of tire for them.

Also, can anyone tell me why there is a wear "streak" following the wear indicator? Could this be an indication of a needed suspension change or throttle control, meaning I am coasting, while cornering?

upload_2021-9-25_10-5-0.png upload_2021-9-25_10-5-30.png

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Look at the rims and then report the widths i.e. 3.50-17
    What are the tire sizes and tire date codes
    Track days or street riding?
    Air pressures?

3. Kevin E.

Rim = 5.5 x 17
    Rear 180 x 55 17"
    Front 120 x 70 17"
    Date code: 4319 (bought them new in 2020)
    Track use = C group (slow guy)
    Air Pressure = Rear 29, Front 31

Thanks for taking the time to address my questions!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

SV 650 or 1000?

Kevin E. likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You have the tires on the correct rim sizes so it's not the tires.
    This doesn't make sense as they both are 5.5 wide rims. Maybe you had Rossos on the 959 and not Rosso IIs?
    Nothing weird here either the tire deflects a bit differently because of the wear indicator hole.

Kevin E. likes this.
  6. Kevin E.

SV650

7. Kevin E.

This doesn't make sense as they both are 5.5 wide rims. Maybe you had Rossos on the 959 and not Rosso IIs?

I still have the 959 and run the IIs, I specifically put the IIs on the SV because I was already familiar with them.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

IMO, your initial assumption is incorrect. I rarely wear my tires evenly to the edge.

Yes you need to change lots about your riding - you are in C group and likely doing many things poorly and some things completely wrong. The bike will function very differently when you change you inputs, including how the tires wear.

Work with a rider coach and/or suspension pro. Then fix issues that are actually making you slower now. Guessing that something is wrong isnt really productive. Those pros will be able to much more easily identify problems too.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

What tracks do you ride in CA?? Im going to guess not Chuckwalla because of the C group designation? What org(s) do you ride with??
    No mention of pressures... pace will dictate that so a tire/suspension guy will start you out a lil lower til you can get some heat into them then gradually move you up
    as your pace improves.

Kevin E. likes this.
  10. Kevin E.

Thanks for the feedback, and I am certainly aware that I have a mountain of things to learn. As for my assumption, it was some based on a Dave Moss video I watched, he said that the tires should wear evenly to the edge, which somewhat made sense because you think the profiles would be designed to work together in that sense. Along with this, the tire wear to the edge is pretty much identical on my 959 which is running the same exact tire. So, that being said, it very well could be my inputs.
    Thanks again!

11. stangmx13

The rear tire looks like it never got warm, let alone hot. This suggest you aren’t using the throttle well - probably spending way too little time at wide open and likely rolling on too slow & late. Some of that is expected in C group, but maybe not this much.

This lack of temp and load is probably impacting where you think you are leaning to. The tire will wear (or not wear) differently without the deformation caused by load. And it’ll be hard to see wear without more temp.

Practically no one in C group should be using the edge of the tires. Proper braking and throttle can produce those lap times with very little lean angle, even on lower HP bikes. Work on using the throttle better and you’ll go a lot faster with no extra risk.

12. Kevin E.

I have only done two track days and both were at Chuckwalla
    I understand what you are saying, I just want to make sure we are on the same page, the picture on the left is the rear tire and is used all the way to the edge. The picture on the right is the front and is nowhere near the edge.

I definitely need to work on braking later and trailing, I more often than not end up going into the corner slower than I want and end up using a lot of maintenance throttle to keep the proper line, but I feel like I am on the gas pretty close to apex.

13. stangmx13

Lol wups, I had the tires backwards. Ignore everything I said about throttle.

Although, the same concepts do apply to braking. If you aren’t trailing the brakes and carry speed, the front tire isn’t getting loaded well and won’t warm up. Chuckwalla is such a flowing track that it’s hard at a slower pace to trailbrake well. The improvements come in pieces. Not overslowing and using the throttle well gives more speed at the end of a straight. This means you brake sooner, which gives more time to trailbrake well. This improves your apex speed, which improves your exit speed further. Etc etc.

Kevin E. likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Who was the provider? My experience with Chuck is its an open day, no group designation, with the providers Im familiar with (SoCal & Racers Edge) Other than the sighting laps and the riders meeting... its come & go as you please which is great for skill building. Go out do a 15-20 min warmup... come back in ck pressures, hydrate and debrief... then head back out.
    If you needed help or a tow... lots of availability. Best of all no red flags... which I cant say for some providers. Best part is you get more track time by 1-2pm than just about every org out there.
    Id look into getting instruction with Dale Kiefer when he's at Chuckwalla or Ken Hills 2 day novice school. I promise it would be the BEST money you'll spend...

mattys281-2 and Boman Forklift like this.
  15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The specs on the 959 say it has a 5" wheel. That would explain why the tire has a flatter profile on the 5.5"

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Huh, Ducati 959 has a 5.5-17 rear?

17. stickboy274

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

The bike comes with a 180/60 and I can't see them putting that tire on a 5.00 rim. I referenced total motorcycle website and it shows a 5.50

19. stickboy274

That link says it's a 180/60-17 on it.

I'm just letting you know what google came up with. The link is there, go let them know they're wrong.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for the owner of the bike to go look at the wheel he has.

E Reed likes this.
  20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

[​IMG]

stangmx13 likes this.