1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qualifying at the 2021 GNF

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So we're looking at running q sessions for all or most of the National classes interspersed with the Vintage finals on Friday at the GNF - then the National races will be mixed in with Sportsman stuff Saturday/Sunday. Trying to sort this out is part of the schedule delay...

What do you think?

E Reed likes this.
  2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Just so I understand properly, the conversation is between having or not having qualifying for the majority of classes instead of just 600/1000SB? So if there isn't additional qualifying Friday, it would just be Vintage classes.

Sat/Sun are essentially locked in for Sportsman/Nationals?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is no locked in for anything at this point, just getting input on q sessions for more of the national classes - sportsman A and C Superbike Expert will still be on the final practice the morning of the race. Might do F1 Expert as well off the final big bike that morning.

4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Cool. For whatever my opinion is worth (C SS/SB, and B SB this year), I'm probably in for a couple more qualifying sessions. More track time before races sounds good to me. If there's a practice Friday morning that non-vintage guys are eligible for, then I'm definitely in.

Coming from a long way away, and having two kids with me - If there wasn't much for me to do Friday I would skip it.

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

While I am not racing anymore, I think this is a GREAT idea as I can tell you from experience, starting at the back sucks ass. I get it, points and such, but this way is just way way more "professional" by earning your spot rather than making all the rounds, or simply signing up first.

I hope you pull it off with great success.

Gino230, BigBird, cBJr and 4 others like this.
  6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

What this gentleman said.

7. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

@Mongo Pin this at the top for a bit?

8. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Probably dumb question but for the classes like LWT that don’t normally run Qual in the regular season stuff, is being in Qual required to make the grid? Or is it just to set grid order and anyone who misses Qual (but is still registered) just goes to the back?

signed, someone who would prefer to just be put in the back of grid and maybe can’t make Friday lol

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You can always just ask to be grided in the back

Lazy Destroyer likes this.
  10. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

They'll just put you in the back. Just did that myself last month when I skipped qualifying.

11. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Q sessions. Would it just take a place of a practice session?

BigBird likes this.
  12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I won't be there this year, but one of my favorite things about the C Expert class is getting to do qualifying. I think it's cool to have a practice session where you "need" to perform well, as opposed to just shaking off cobwebs.

13. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

What is the minimal amount of races a racer has to put in to qualify to participate in the GNF?

Oh, and qualifying is always a great idea in my book. Especially for those who don’t run the whole season. Or might join from other Orgs.

14. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Sportsman classes require you to have entered at least one race (for that specific class) during the season. For Nationals, anyone with a WERA license can participate.

For example, if you ran CSB for at least one round this year, you can enter that Sportsman class at the GNF. For the Nationals you can run any class you and your bike would be eligible to enter in.

FastByKids likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sets the grid and anyone who doesn't run or enters later would be at the back.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Current thinking is practice in the AM and then Q sessions interspersed with Vintage finals in the afternoon. Basically trying to fill the day and do something different/interesting.

E Reed and baconologist like this.
  17. Harry Reynolds

Harry Reynolds Well-Known Member

This is a great plan. It adds a little drama and pressure to what would be just a practice session and it rewards someone standing on the gas to get a good starting grid spot. How about a pole award to really step it up?

FastByKids likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds great, we'll award you.....pole position! :crackup:

I do like the idea but I think for the first time doing all the classes I want to keep it semi low key.

mpusch and Harry Reynolds like this.
  19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Slice of pie. Hey, someone had to...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do have some time between now and then...