1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone familiar with the MotoD Next laptimer?

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Sep 14, 2021.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If so can you shoot me a PM or post up on here how to make this thing work.

I bought it used and it seems to be functional but I couldn't get it to work for me. This past weekend was my first time trying it out.

I was a at Blackhawk Farms in Joliet, IL and figured it was a track that would be auto recognized so I started turning laps...no dice.

Then I did the auto detect by select "new track" and the clicking the finish line button while standing next to the start/finish line in hot pit...still no dice.

Do I need to stand on the start/finish line in the middle of the actual track? Am i doing something wrong? I just wanted the ease of a GPS laptimer so I dont have to mess with a beacon. But at least my old $30 laptimer/beacon combo would give me lap times.

Any help is appreciated. If it's easier please PM and I'll shoot you my cell#. I can test it out by riding my scooter on laps around my neighborhood.

2. Sleeping Psycho

Sleeping Psycho Well-Known Member

Blackhawk is in South Beloit
    Autobahn is in Joliet

3. lopitt85

Sorry, been to both recently. I was at Blackhawk in South Beloit when trying to use the laptimer.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Throw it in the garbage and buy an AIM Solo 2.

5. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Why not contact directly MotoD ?

Pretty sure they'd be the best ones placed to help you out.

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You buy the nest junk Chinese ha to offer and expect it to work?

motoD is the current PSR only worse.

noles19, ekraft84, JJJerry and 2 others like this.
  7. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Been saying that for years but it's an uphill battle with the noobs.

5axis likes this.
  8. lopitt85

:crackup:wanted to try and figure this one out before I go that route.

9. lopitt85

Yeah, I'll reach out to them. They put me in contact with PZ Racing (Italian manufacturer) when I needed to replace the rubber boot over one of the buttons.

I'll see if they can still offer some technical help. Just figured I'd try here before I reach out to them.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    pefrey and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  10. lopitt85

:eek: didnt realize MotoD had a bad reputation. I saw it listed for sale here, looked up some reviews on it, and bought it. I didnt need the fancy bits for the data logging and screen overlay stuff, but wanted to something that I could just turn on and go. Saw it was made in Italy and seemed to have a pretty good set of reviews there and here in the States so took a gamble.

Gonna try and see what I'm doing wrong before I consider trashing it and dropping more coin on a luxury item.;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Honestly, the AIM stuff just works. Solid, out of the box. It's packed with features and is super easy to use. The data you can pull with the DL and a modern bike is pretty slick too, for any club racer or posing MotoAmerica team.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The one thing I'll say about aim is they should have dumbed down the software when they put the solo2 out, it's not the easiest to overlay laps etc unless you really dive into it.

13. lopitt85

I'll keep the AIM stuff in mind in case I do end up needing to purchase another. I don't see myself ever needing the data logger stuff. I just want a simple and easy to use GPS laptimer.

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

It does take a little getting used to, but the DL does a lot.

noles19 likes this.
  15. lopitt85

Well...I may be in the market for a new laptimer. The self diagnostic function shows everything is good except for one component...the accelerometer. Which from my limited research is vital tobacco GPS laptimer being able to function.

I'm awaiting a customer service response from the manufacturer (PZ Racing) to see if this is fixable.

If not, I just want something that is GPS (no beacon), turn on and go, no muss/no fuss, laptimer for personal and hobby use. Is the Solo/Solo2 the best bet or is there something in the $150-200 range? With the rate that technology improves surely indent have to drop $400-500 for a reliable GPS laptimer.

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You can get a solo2 in the 350$ range and it's your best bet

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  17. lopitt85

Guess I'll pony up the dough then. Went back to my ever reliable beacon/receiver laptimer today and even though it works, every time, I just hate having to place and retrieve my beacon. 1st world problems, lol

noles19 likes this.
  18. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Moto D is trash. Toss in in the garbage and buy something, anything, else.

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Solo 2 hard wired to your bike is the best thing ever. Auto turn on, and it just freakin' works.

20. lopitt85

So, wanted to provide an update...of sorts. PZ Racing would have repaired mine for about $100 (I'd have to do the currency exchange for exact $).

They also offered their newest version for $200.

So I figured an extra hundred, brand new, with 2 yr warranty. Let's give it a shot.

Unless I shoot south in Feb/Mar, like I normally do, I won't get a chance to try it out and report back until late spring.

If it gives me worry free, accurate, reliable laptimes I'll be happy.

noles19 likes this.