1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2000 meter row...

Discussion in 'General' started by Evad101, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

No issue there, I get the difference and have read about how they differ in work outs, I was referring to the time difference.

Taller guy here as well @ 6"6". Started the year @ 310 and am now at 280lbs. More to go as well...

Circacee and sdg like this.
  2. sdg

sdg *

Good job. I got down to 178 from 232 in may 2019.
    Now around 183 because CrossFit needs more calories plus I'm getting stronger.

Best benefit has been my mental health tho

KneeDragger_c69 and Circacee like this.
  3. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Fuck yes man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evad101 likes this.
  4. For sure, and that includes launching my boat solo and letting the motor warm up :)

5. Paddy O

Paddy O Well-Known Member

I have been on a masters rowing team since 2007. Most of our men are over 50 some 40's. 6:14 is elite level over 50 for a concept 2 which is the standard and with which most teams train. FYI the correct setting on the concept 2 is about 4 to 5, not cranked up all the way, that can cause back injury. Tall guys do better than short, my best at 6 foot at age 55 was 7:09, top college rowers are under 6:00, all measured on Concept 2, don't know about water ergs, sound cool. Rowing uses the exact muscle groups in about the same way as bike riding, legs, core, arms, in that order. Do a 10k for endurance and pacing, usually about 10-15% slower than 2k.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I’m curious. I have a concept 2 rower in my basement. It’s not used much.

but I’ll give it a whirl at lunch. If it only takes 7 minutes, i can spare that much time before i lift.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

7:44

I’m 38 though.

8. Paddy O

That is not too bad and would be a typical male time for a fit but not trained rower. For most guys, under 8:00 is good, women 8:30. I have only seen a few guys get under 6:20, two were big ten college rowers.

9. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I never understood why concept 2 insists the damper setting isn't resistance when clearly it is....

I ride an airbike, Schwinn AD7, rower and ski erg. C2, and have access to their bike erg.
    I dread the rower most... suck at them all.

10. I do now.

It’s on bitch.

ChemGuy, Evad101 and Robin172 like this.
  11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

See for most people this would be a joke, but for Broome he's probably already ordered a rowing machine:crackup:

Gorilla George and Yzasserina like this.
  12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Gorilla George and noles19 like this.
  13. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

I row, but apparently I’m as slow at it as I am at riding! 6:14 is amazing, congrats.

I’ve have concept 2 which is the only piece of real fitness equipment I own. I chose it because it gives the best full body workout in the least amount of time invested. And it is totally unsuitable for hanging or drying clothes.

I’m 50, and typically use the rower to do 500m sprints followed by functional fitness movements in between rows. My 500m’s (at 5 resistance) are usually about 1:47 and I’m GASSED. I’m 2 beers in at the moment, but I suspect when/if I try this benchmark 2000m I’d be a 8+ minute neighborhood.

Evad101 is crushing it.

Evad101 likes this.
  14. Paddy O

An erg, if used properly is all you need in a general fitness machine, I do not know why they are not more popular. The Peleton thing $$$ mystifies me. A Concept 2 is under $1,000 and you can find good used ones on ebay for $400. A 2k test is brutal if done to the max, the fourth 500m separates men from boys, hint, try to make all four 500m splits the same. You should see stars at the end. And you will learn about "rowers cough" if done properly, good luck ! post your times!

Evad101 and rk97 like this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I’ll have to get back on mine when I’m back home. I’ll have these 15 staples out of my abdomen then so I can get back to work.

I usually do longer runs 5-7k and I have no idea what my 2k time would be.
    As long as it’s better than broomes I’m happy.

Evad101, Jed and Gorilla George like this.
  16. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

They aren't more popular because they suck.. absolutely soul sucking...

But c2 rowers were so crazy in demand during last couple years. Wait times were in the 3-4 months after the pause for covid. Used prices on fb market were almost always at or over list.

Now they are unloading them.

So many rowers coming out with the peleton online experience now.

Montoya likes this.
  17. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

@Evad101 I couldn’t resist. I just knocked it out. First 1000m went great, 3:37. Things got progressively harder and the last 400m was painfully slow. Overall time was 7:48

6:14 is a monster!

Evad101 and rk97 like this.
  18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

19. sdg

sdg *

They are definitely soul sucking. We were doing them for calories they other day and I look down halfway through and the damn thing is set to six...

Gonna have to try this 2k thing

20. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

You guys make me sick... 3:37 for 1000?
    It's the same on the airbike, guys knocking out 230cals in 10 minutes while I'm at 1/2 that...
    10 min max cal on an airbike is disgusting too.