1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Atahan Koymen, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Atahan Koymen

Atahan Koymen Well-Known Member

Can someone explain what is causing front tire to wear like this. below is the as much info i can provide
    Bike 15 Zx6 with ohlins forks and ttx shock set for my weight
    SC2 in the picture has total 252 miles or 13 sessions on it. I put100 miles at pitt and i put 152 miles on it at nelson and it started to show this kind of wear on the right side of the tire. bike had absolutely no set up change between 2 tracks. At pitt it never showed any wear similar.
    front pressure after each session 36.5-37 psi consistently. weather was 80 plus degrees. my pace was 70 to 71 secs all day. I am very curious what causes this. i have seen rear tires look like this but not the fronts..

thanks in advance 20210901_170759.jpg 20210901_170759.jpg

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

My experience with Pirelli from along time ago so take it with a grain of salt but pressure sounds high. I ran 30-32 off the track. Plus that's alot of miles so it's worn. Are your wear dots gone?

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

250 track miles is significant at your pace.

Consider that these tires are designed around the world championship series. On average, a WSBK race is 100km, or about 60 miles. Adjust that expected longevity for your pace, and that's how long you can expect a front tire to last. You're at four times that distance, plus a lot of heat cycles. The friction compounds react and wear differently as they are heat cycled to death and as the tire becomes thinner, the rubber heats up faster and cools down quicker because there's simply less material on the tire.

I wouldn't change anything on your setup but the front tire.

4. Atahan Koymen

Understood. So i guess days of me putting 500 miles on a SC2 front with 20 some heat cycles are gone while running lot slower pace..

How many heat cycles do you suggest for Sc2? Or is that pace dependent as well.

thanks

5. metricdevilmoto

Too subjective to answer accurately. The faster you go, the burn rate of consumables increases. No front tire crash costs less to fix than a front tire, and even if it does, you'll still need a front tire after you fix everything.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You're counting miles, good!
    You're keeping track of hot psi, good!

You need to measure tread depth (little round dimples) and when they disappear that's the clue it's time pitch it. And if I remember correctly the tread depth new is 4.5mm, 5.0mm, or 5.5mm?
    In your maintenance notes tracking when the front starts to get a bad push/understeers vs. the number of heat cycles will also teach you when to replace the tire

JCW and Atahan Koymen like this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Tossing front tires that still look great and grip ok (but not great) is just a part of getting faster. And of course no one will buy takeoff fronts because slower riders rarely replace the front.

Now may be a good time to explore softer compounds because you really don't need the tire to last that many miles.

Atahan Koymen likes this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Hey Stang when was the last time you rode on Pirelli slicks?

9. stangmx13

Around the same time you were less passive aggressive and more helpful. If I'm wrong and the OP will learn nothing on an SC1, say so. I'm down to learn.

JJJerry likes this.
  10. Atahan Koymen

I hear you loud and clear. i dont need a winter repair project...

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  11. Atahan Koymen

i used to ride Sc1/Sc1 combo but that was last year and i was way off pace. and then i heard Sc2 fronts are the way to go so i switched to sc2/sc1 combo this year. this tuesday for the first time i actually tried Sc0 rears and actually went 0.7 secs faster than my personal best. and i had the front tire in the picture. i cant imagine how a brand new Sc1/sc0 combo can do!!! weather permitting may be i find out this year..

stangmx13 likes this.
  12. metricdevilmoto

SC1 and SC2 fronts are interchangeable, for the most part. On rare occasions, track conditions or temperature or outright pace will make one more preferable.

It's really about figuring out what the rider wants to feel and what their requirements are. We have fast guys on SC1 fronts at a certain pressure and we have fast guys on SC2 fronts at a certain pressure.

Most of the time, our fast guys are on SC2 fronts and SC0 (or SCX) rears. We have some guys that prefer SC1 fronts, but we usually end up "higher" in pressures. Really depends a lot on the rider and the guy setting the pressures understanding what the rider needs. And setup. And riding style. And a few other variables.

I understand other brands work differently, hence the previous comment.

Rear compounds are an entirely different story.

13. metricdevilmoto

Actually, I didn't mean to be aloof or ambiguous in my previous post. I work with racers that run MA and if you understand tires proper, you understand tires. What @stangmx13 said has some relevance in regards to the brand he's familiar with, but for a different reason than he thinks. So he's not wrong, but it wouldn't be the direction I would suggest for the OP, considering I built his forks and shock and he's running a brand of tires I'm a bit more familiar with.

14. Atahan Koymen

i am gonna be quite honest. I am new to this and i cant really tell the difference in terms of feel between Sc1 and Sc2 front. thats my level... i just cant. reason i went to Sc2 was mostly for mileage reasons. i can definitely tell the difference between 180 and 190 rear. between 55 and 60 profile rear. 190/60 felt the best. also sc1 vs Sc0 rear the grip difference was night and day... exit of the corners getting on the gas grip was incredible.

my question. is it a good idea for track days where i want to get more experience to use may be sc2/sc2 or Sc3/sc3 combo to put more miles under my belt while getting used to riding on lower grip level due to the compounds. and may be only switch to Sc1/sco or sc1/scx combo for last 2 sessions to give a all out effort.. i thought i would have more confidence that way.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Huh? I know you used to race and have probably done track days in recent years so I though you could offer some feedback. And your comments about bike set up have been insightful so...

16. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I like listening to smart people talk...

17. stangmx13

Apologies. I took your post the wrong way.

The majority of my experience with Pirellis is observational. My experience riding them has been on friend's bikes, which I didn't race. What I've observed matches what @metricdevilmoto said in his post about SC1 and SC2 being interchangeable with caveats.

I wrote that suggestion to the OP because I'm a fan of learning about all our options. It sounded like he had been riding the SC2 to maximize mileage and hadn't tried the softer tires. My assumption was half right. Since he has ran the SC1, can't tell the difference, and has a rec from his tuner to use the SC2, theres probably little reason to try it again, for now.

18. stangmx13

IMO, your previous post about the two compounds being interchangeable would work just fine if you swapped in "Dunlop". Marrying pressure and construction is a common thing. As you said, understanding tires is understanding tires.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of building suspension for different constructions of tires - and can rarely find reputable info. Do you have any generalizations that you'd be willing to share about what you'd do differently in a set of forks for an SC1 and SC2... or even a Dunlop :D

Gino230 likes this.
  19. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

As a slowpoke, I've got huge respect for someone that can make a front tire look like that.
    I've been thinking about it last couple days and wanted to ask some questions.

Obviously wear in the front is different than wear in the back where you have power in addition to geometry, weight transfer and suspension.
    So in that picture, is that wear mostly on compression and loads in corner entry?
    or is it in rebound as you unload the tire and perhaps a lightly loaded tire slides?

It doesn't look like wear where the heaviest wear is closest to the edge where cornering forces are greatest, so obviously there is some additional "input" other than cornering forces going on.
    at first I thought well that's got to be trail braking, but then I thought, maybe not... especially when I saw the full screen view and there almost looks like skip pattern to the wear. Heavy, lighter, heavy, lighter.

BTW, those two pics are the same, right?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  20. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Looks like what turn one at Roebling will do to a tire. That’s the only place I’ve had that type of wear. Heavy loads and abrasive surface.