1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Computers

Discussion in 'General' started by raven21, Sep 1, 2021.

1. raven21

raven21 Well-Known Member

Looking to either have one built or build a new gaming/video editing computer. Never built one before but looking for decent performance and no clue how to tell if im getting ripped off.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

You are getting ripped off. New graphics cards are going for 2-3x MSRP because of chip shortages, crypto, and scalpers. So it’s not rly possible these days to build a gaming PC for a reasonable price.

If you are OK with all that, there are plenty of YouTube vids with build configs and how to build. I like LinusTechTips vids the most. If you already know what games you want to play, you’ll find some solid info there.

gixxernaut and BigBird like this.
  3. raven21

yeah i know the prices are inflated right now, but current computer is 6 years old and is broken not worth fixing. I am OK paying the inflated prices but don't know how to combine good parts that work well with each other.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was watching one of those vids on Youtube the other day and the damn thing came in at a total cost of just under (and I know there were others up there that cost more) $20,000

5. raven21

I need nothing even close to those level of builds. Stuff can get crazy for sure, I watched a video of just the most expensive parts and it was north of 50k.

6. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

so I know minimal about building a pc except certain parts are so hard to find right now. id recommend following @mattswider and @GYXdeals on twitter. turn notifications on and if you work from home, or are able to have twitter up 24/7 , do it and keep your fingers crossed. I literally created a tweeter just for the sole purpose of buying a ps5 and was able to score one for retail after about a month and a half of trying. they are the go to for all the console's and gaming pc parts for retail.

good freeking luck! and do not buy from anyone directly on twitter!

7. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

You could build a decent one that will run all the latest games well for about $1200 maybe a little less. Just not 4K or VR. Graphics cards are nuts but the rest of the rig isn’t too bad.

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Not entirely true... just hop on MicroCenters discord page, they post when they get cards in, which models, and how many. It is full retail price, but not scalped...

My son just got a 3060ti last week for MSRP.

henry_carlson and BigBird like this.
  9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I got an Alienware Aurora R12 a few months ago and it's great. Rip off? Probably. I was tired of having mismatched parts on maintained PCs and was years behind so it was an easy catch up.

10. raven21

Ok so let me clarify I have no clue how to build a computer, I am either looking for someone to put together a kit of parts based on my needs to recommend a guy/shop that does builds. I am more than willing to pay someone to do this I just dont know enough on how to spec out the equipment or know if someone is ripping me off.

11. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

where do you live?

12. raven21

outside STL missouri west about an hour

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Look at microcenter. They have a bunch of prebuilt computers using components they sell. It'll give you a good idea of a ballpark figure.

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Do they ship?

I’ve seen retailers with stock at reasonable prices. And they only have that cuz it’s in-store purchase only. Good on them, but it doesn’t help everyone.

15. mram0256

mram0256 Member

Check out pcpartpicker.com. Great for seeing what parts are compatible and getting build ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Just buy a republic of gamers tower. I have one sitting next to a $5,000 custom liquid cooled build and we can’t get the build to do much more than the republic of gamers and it was $2200 new.

BigBird likes this.
  17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Not sure. I’m within an hour of 2 stores.

ts199 and BigBird like this.
  18. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

If you're looking at the lower cost end of the spectrum - I built a gaming computer last spring out of a full frame Dell Optiplex 5040.

Bought the computer for $230 (w/ new 500gb SSD)
    GTX1650 - $150 (at the time, probably more now)
    24GB of RAM - $80

I've been gaming on it every since, drama free (posting on it right now!)

It's obviously pretty low on the performance scale, but I play Warzone, the kids play fortnite on it nearly daily at 60 fps.

19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

As previously stated, the preferred route is to build your own, as it used to be significantly cheaper. With the GPU market on its head, buying a pre built is the way to go. Stay away from Dell, Alienware, or any other proprietary PC building companies. Bloatware aside, upgrading can be a pain in the ass and they don't use the best components.

One of the better reviewed prebuilts is ABS from NewEgg. Since you didn't list a budget

High end awesomeness: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala256/p/N82E16883360170?quicklink=true

Mid level awesomeness: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali541/p/N82E16883360161

Low level awesomeness: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala224/p/N82E16883360021?quicklink=true

Entry level meh: https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer-technologies-ala210/p/N82E16883102981

There's a couple of builders on the book of faces I know that do good work as well. Let me know your budget and I can get you a price and put you in contact with them as well. I would personally trust them more so than an ABS prebuilt from NewEgg but I get you may not feel the same way.

gixxernaut likes this.
  20. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Unless you're interested in picking out the parts and/or putting it together yourself, I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a pre-built PC. Paying someone else to pick out the parts and build it will almost certainly cost more than a pre-built PC, and won't necessarily get you any better of a PC.