1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Pikes Peak

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The original article I read said this was their final decision moving forward regarding bikes.

It’s a damn shame as I literally just moved to CO, but I knew bikes were almost certainly never coming back. I still think the event rocks, but it’s really always been more of a car event.

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

There are 3 notable hillclimbs in the US. PP, Mt Washington and Virginia City. All car based

somebody needs to find a road and make a bike climb happen. Maybe Mongo would sanction it

scottn likes this.
  3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

:confused: While I'm a little baffled at your entire post given that this is a motorcycle racing forum, I find the part in bold especially baffling. I mean sure, not everyone on here would ride Pikes in anger but you do realize most of the people on here either are or were motorcycle racers at one time, right? And half of them were probably canyon carving squids before hitting the track and they were probably blasting through mountain back roads for nothing more than the respect of their buddies and a cheap thrill; let alone actual competition.

I don't think there's any doubt that insurance and lawyers play a big part here. I think the point many are making is how sad of a scenario that is.

5axis, ToofPic, Pixelator and 6 others like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think PP has more runoff than Ozark FIA track

stk0308 likes this.
  5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Legalities are evolving. For years, Doc Batsleer used to fill his truck and trailer with Tank Shift Indians and haul them up to Loudon for Bike Week. He'd lend a couple out to USCRA racers to run in the Tank Shift class. No more. Doc only brought a couple for his own use this year. A lawyer who was friends with his wife spelled out some worst case scenarios in which it doesn't matter if one signed the waiver. If you go into a coma or die, the estate becomes part of the deal, and they didn't sign anything.

dtalbott and YamahaRick like this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

At that altitude, I think it becomes more runway than runoff.

The Todd, Montoya and BigBird like this.
  7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Found the bug.

“Except this isn’t the organizer’s property and I don’t think the US Gov’t wants to host events”

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You know this how?

9. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

As would I! Sometimes in two or three seconds...:crackup:sometimes with provocation:Poke:

Done many a percieved dumb thing....labled dangerous, careless, irresponsible, disregard for others etc..

It's all relative, some whom free climb, or conquer Everest would shake their heads at others whom skydive..
    Pick your posion.....
    But I'll be damned if I wanna be part of a society that men tuck their balls into ass cracks and speak in in soft condescending voice that we can no longer have freewill....

Pussies....yes. Absolutely.

cav115, YamahaRick, ToofPic and 3 others like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Hard enough having friends hurt bad or dying on tracks with as much safety as we can give them. I'm all for people being allowed to if they want but it's not something I could run.

11. redtailracing

Seriously? :confused: Please tell me I’m just missing the sarcasm font...

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You think most posters to this board are actual active or ex-racers? I certainly don't. So look for sarcasm elsewhere.

13. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

They didnt have a problem, either the organizers or the gov. making a little money on the entries. You mean to tell me that theyve found a moral compass?

14. redtailracing

So you’re going with the assumption that most of the posters on an amateur motorcycle roadracing board have never actually raced... really? I suppose I can’t disprove that but seems a bit counterintuitive dont ya think? Since I haven’t raced myself in about 10 years, I no longer personally know most of the posters around here. But when I did race, there were probably at least 20 semi-frequent posters just that I personally knew from the track. And 75% of those were just southeast region lightweight guys.

scottn likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dave just factors all of the spambots in his calculations… :rolleyes:

16. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I myself, just rode like a twat yesterday in my backyard N .Ga. mts.
    I volunteer to ride a big wheel down pikes peak if anyone wants to start a go fund me :D

17. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

It just occured to me: Motion could just buy Pikes Peak!!! Problem solved..

baconologist and ToofPic like this.
  18. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

I wanna see you ride the Big Wheel *up* the hill! :Poke:

ToofPic likes this.
  19. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

:crackup:
    I'm waaay to outta shape for that!

20. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I raced it and I am not a keyboard jockey so I can say from experience, everyone is getting soft. Its fricken ridiculous that they got rid of motorcycles. I was one of the racers that carried Bobby Goodwins lifeless body off the rocks onto a backboard to the EMT truck. Everyone who races on that mountain knows the risks. I know if my friends do pass on the mountain they died doing what they wanted to do. I know its a bullshit saying but its true. We know the risks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    socalrider, Scotty87, 23103a and 9 others like this.