1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Gotcha. The ability to actually get a bike right now is the real trick. They just aren't available, and delivery times are very uncertain. Congrats on the new ride!

stk0308 likes this.
  2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

For carbon and seat posts, I dropped my al. dropper post and went back to a carbon one. The feel and softening of harshness from the carbon is tangible.

3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Finally got to take the new bike for a spin yesterday and holyfuckingshit it is good. The suspension is nuts and I’m still playing with all the setting but you can just bomb through shit like a dirt bike haha! I’m not super pumped so far on the Magura MT7 brakes as they feel a bit spongy and the ‘bite’ seems a bit ‘meh’ to me but maybe they need more bedding in or a different pad? I had a Tazer the last year but this is the MX version and has the EP8 motor and it’s insane how much more power it has and the way the power comes on with higher cadence. You can change a bunch of settings on it with their app too and I had it way too aggressive at first like a squid. Once I chilled out the hit it was crazy good. Can’t wait to get more miles on it soon.

CC192377-4546-4B53-BB6F-00CF50E89FA6.jpeg

bacolmm, tropicoz, L8RSK8R and 4 others like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

damb you dont see many big O bike components...Nice ride. Does it make that electric swoosh sound when cranking?
    I take it the brakes have some kind of organic pad the calipers? I usually wipe the rotors really well then pedal around the hood dragging them more and more.

5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

self-shuttle DH seems like the one true good use for an e-bike. that thing is rad as shit, congrats. on the brakes... a ton of people seem to like those MT7's, but I had Maguras once long ago and they did not please me, so I've stayed away. like above, maybe the pads just need bedding in better... could always come on over to Hope V4's tho, best brakes ever haha.

my new build is at the shop getting put together as week speak. should have it back in a week or so. yayyyy bikes!

Spooner likes this.
  6. Spooner

It's really not a DH bike, its 170/155mm travel so more of an enduro setup. More e-bikes are getting spec'd with dual crown forks though for the stiffness and performance and this fork blows away the Fox factory 36 I had last. The coil shock is a must have for me now too, its like the rear tire was glued to the trail. I have another spring I want to try as I'm right between the rates so I tried the softer one first so I'm wondering how the next rate up will work too.

I got the bleed kit for the brakes so I might try bleeding them tonight to see if maybe they just have a bunch of air in them or something. If that doesn't work I'll probably try a more aggressive pad before really dumping money on them.

Sweatypants likes this.
  7. Spooner

Yeah it makes noise when you pedal it but it's a fair bit more quiet than the E8000 motor I had in the last bike. And not sure what pad material they come with.

8. TurboBlew

whats the weight on the bike? Most of the serious technical riding guys, around here, have coil shocks on their bikes. They all have completely different setups for Pisgah versus what they are pedaling around here on. We dont have much elevation just alot of short punchy climbs or descents.

9. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

That thing is impressive. And a 2.8 rear / 2.6 front, looks like a fun ride! I won't even check out the pricing for fear of the disappointment awaiting me. Have a great time on it.

10. Spooner

Its supposed to be about 50lbs but haven’t tossed it on the scale yet. When I previously rode xc bikes and road bikes I was a bit of a weight weenie but these things just feel super planted in the rough stuff. I could see putting some blingy wheels on it at some point as it’s the only real thing its missing.

11. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Sick ride. My trek rail has 180mm front Zeb with smashpot coil and 175mm rear fox dhx2 and I love it. Just run over everything. Ebikes are so fun 4K of vert in a quick after work 2 hour ride.

Spooner likes this.
  12. Spooner

I have a few buddies with rails and they all love them too! I need to swap bikes one day with one of them to see how it rides compared to the tazer.

13. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

That TazerMX is nuts, congrats.

Spooner likes this.
  14. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I was just able to pick up a new bike, the dealer order it a year ago and I was lucky enough to find it when I was ready to buy. So far after 5 or 6 rides it seems much nicer than my 2016 Stumpjumper, it is more bike than I need but I like it!
    Ripmo2.jpg

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Just had a bike built and getting back into it. Where are you guys buying all of your gear? Shoes, lids etc.

16. TurboBlew

Typucally LBS... my local shop has big buying power vs the presumed savings over online.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Got the call that a Spire XT build with my name on it is coming in this week. Unfortunately I separated my shoulder last week so it may be a bit before I get a ride on it. Picked up these so I can go slow faster. 2FA89A95-FAAF-4162-8AB1-7A87ABB487FF.jpeg

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I can crash that bike in 2 beers...

53510.jpeg 53503.jpeg

bacolmm and Mike Lafayette like this.
  19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Forgot to post this up (finally).

Commencal Meta AM 29 170f/160r mm travel
    Zeb Ultimate with MRP Ramp Control
    CC DB Kitsuma Air
    Hope V4 with 220mm and 200mm rotors
    My go-to wheel build of Hope hubs, DT spokes and nipples, and DT EX511 rims
    XT crank
    XTR shifter and derailleur
    Garbaruk cassette and oval chainring
    STFUbike chain guides
    Enduro BB, CC 110 headset
    Jagwire, Ride Wrap, titanium bolts, yada yada yada 35lbs. and its freakin' awesome and now I need to start riding in a pastel v-neck and linen suit with my Miami cocaine tires. I took off that riser stem and put a 31mm no rise on and replaced a few of the non-ti bolts with ti ones. I've never had a bike this quiet before. Between the STFU and the internal cable foam, all you can hear is the tires and freehub. No chain slaps, no cable rattle. I love it. That'll be that for the next 4-5 years I guess.

20210914_185009.jpg

20210914_185208.jpg

20210914_185308.jpg

20210914_185632.jpg

20210914_185838.jpg

20210914_190205.jpg

20210914_190256.jpg

20. sdg

sdg *

How many teeth in that big rear cog? Nice bike