1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADA and Fair Housing Act Lawyer?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Jul 28, 2021.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Prayers for you and your family.

From what I read, as long as you have a letter stating a medical need, they cannot restrict based on size as long as it is a reasonable accommodation.

Cancer sucks.

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Sorry to read the first part, Pete.

Im glad, and was pretty sure that once an esa and or service dog becomes prescribed by a doctor, thats going to change the whole dynamic and that some law would cover them. Its most likely not in the ADA yet but I suspect it will eventually get there due to lawsuits.

Seems we have landlords here sleeping at Holiday Inns...

3. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Yea, no one sorrier than me about the situation, but I appreciate the thoughts.
    My initial contact with the board was an email which included a brief letter from the therapist mentioning the ESA and ADA law, which probably doesn’t really apply. I offered to provide medical documentation, but that I didn’t believed it was necessary. Denied. I responded yesterday with the relevant medical corroboration and letter from both the oncologist and palliative care docs, and relevant areas of the FHA. Hoping they reconsider...

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I ain’t a yeller Ferrari driving lawyer or a member of holiday inn rewards so I’m just spitballing here.

Does the FHA cover homes that are owned or only rented?

A’course, what are they gonna do to you if you do move your 50# vicious kid-killing murder-dog in?

5. Ducti89

6. Ducti89

Please keep us posted!

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Do you work from home? Does the animal travel to youwith for your job?

8. Ducti89

Pete, can your attorney get you some ADA coverage due to your age and chronic stress? Those are some protected classes that may enable you to bolster support for your pooch.

9. pickled egg

10. Ducti89

Housing Provider means any Person that owns, master leases, manages, or develops Housing in the City. Any agent, such as a property management company, that makes tenancy decisions on behalf ofthe above-described Persons, and any government agency, including, but not limited to, the Berkeley Housing Authority, that makes eligibility decisions for tenant-based rental assistance programs, including, but not limited to, the Section 8 program (42 U.S.C. Section 1437f), shall also be considered a “Housing Provider”.

11. PistolPete

Just got an email granting the exemption! One battle I don’t have to fight!

Mike Lafayette, Sabre699, RRP and 7 others like this.
  12. pickled egg

Tenancy decisions wouldn’t be applicable to an owned property, from my layman’s seat here.

I guess I’d be looking for either clear statutory language or case law to determine if a condo association meets the definitions as applied in the FHA.

13. pickled egg

Dammit! Now we’ll never know if condo boards are governed by the FHA! :D

Glad to hear you’re unburdened with that BS!

14. Ducti89

There’s your answer, Dern

And for our Holiday Inn patrons as well...

15. PistolPete

That may in fact be a gray area. After sending my second request yesterday, I read further into the docs, and found that their budget for legal fees is only $1500. That’s only a little more that my lawyer was wanting for writing the running letter, so that may have played a role in their decision too. Either way...

16. Ducti89

Because they weighed the fact that if they're wrong (Which even their lawyer probably said, uhhh, lets not forge case law) , its going to be a blackhole in their bank account.

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Given your circumstances, only a fool would have found your documentation inadequate proof of the need for the dog.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

She'd be better off arguing it is a normal and accepted pet.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, docs don't and can't prescribe emotional support animals. They can for specific ailments but per the gov and the ADA it has to be a specific ailments (or set of them) and specifically trained dog to do a job that will help that ailment. Just making you happier doesn't work no matter what a doctor says or writes.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fair Housing Act says that? Where? - FWIW that isn't arguing at all, just curious about it all.

I get fighting it and if you can get around the stupid rules using it then by all means go for it. But there is no such thing as an ESA certification. On the other hand I think all dogs and some cats are ESAs anyway. Mine make me happier whenever I'm around them :D