1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That's good news. My local shop (Vance) has had good stock for a while, but the ammo prices still aren't great. When Walmart has stuff, it's pre-covid prices.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I thought I read LRN dirties up the gas system in ARs using the conversion, and fairly quickly. Keyword “might” have read it on the cmmg site but not 100%. Funny the Rossi is finicky, the mossberg shoots whatever we run through it great. I considered getting a Rossi as a slightly cheaper companion to the 702.........saving a whopping 10 bucks:D

3. britx303

Aaaaaand I just paid .04 a pop for Winchester plated 22lr’s from Walmart half an hour ago. Got 1,100 rounds for the weekend:rock:

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. .04? No shit?

I don’t have anything 22. But it would be a lot cheaper to save the world with some 22 shit.

Sabre699 and britx303 like this.
  5. britx303

Yep, and with my girls going with me to the club/range, we are going through some ammo so glad to be getting it cheap again. The manager at this walmart is a friend so we might be getting a slight discount..........plus he texts us as soon as ammo arrives:D

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

No issues with at least 2K rounds with probably no cleaning.... When I bought the Rossi I didn't even know what a 702 was- total newb. If I could do it over I'd have gone with a Ruger 10/22 due to the insane aftermarket...or just built a few AR's with one dedicated to .22

7. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I was just joking. I highly doubt he is lol But that is the case for everything that has gone up in price like crazy. Guns, ammo, trucks, motorcycles, etc....hell I just saw someone posting a used and CRASHED R6 for $12,500. Bone stock other than the damage from the crash! Who the fuck pays more for something like that than the retail price??

8. Don’t try to lowball him. He knows what he has.

:crackup:

Sabre699 and sbk1198 like this.
  9. britx303

10/22’s are nice! My brother-in-law has one I’ve shot a bit.

10. I hate to open a can of worms, or start a debate, but do any of you have personal experience shooting .308 Win out of a gun specifically stamped/chambered to 7.62 NATO?

It is similar to the .223/5.56 debate, but backwards.

I know they look the same and have the same overall dimensions, but the commercial version (.308) has higher pressures.

So using a 7.62 NATO round in a .308 is fine, won’t hurt anything.

But from what I gather, using a .308 in a gun specifically designed for 7.62 NATO could be bad.

Any of you have experience with their interchangeability (specifically in a gun stamped 7.62 x 51 NATO).

11. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I work at an LTL trucking company and saw a pleasant sight this morning on the dock...a 4x4 pallet about 3 1/2' high of primers going somewhere. I didn't poke around to see the destination, but good to see anyhow.

12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

30+ years ago I had a norinco copy of an M1A and I’m pretty sure it was marked 7.62 and all it got fed was 308.

13. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I think we've covered this before. They do not have an XD-M Elite in 10mm, the have an XD-M in 10mm but it doesn't have the upgrades like the META trigger.

14. Shit. You are right. And now that you mention it, we did talk about it before.

It’s an XD-M, non-Elite, but it’s a tactical version with a threaded barrel and optic cutout.

That reminds me of something I discovered yesterday.

So I got that XD-M Elite Compact a couple of weeks ago and have been carrying it.

Yesterday I pulled out the first XD-M Elite I got, and the damn things are (now) exactly the same…except the new one is OSP so I’ve got an optic on it.

It’s been several months since I shot the other one. This whole time I was thinking I got the Compact because it is smaller, and easier to carry (it is listed as a “Compact”, the other one wasn’t).

But after putting them together, they are the same damn size. The only thing that makes the “Compact” a Compact is the shorter grip (which I negated by removing the magwell and running an ext magazine, fuck me :crackup:)

Aside from that, they are exactly the same.

So the only thing I gained from the new one is the Optic.

Just damn. :crackup:

Maybe I shoulda actually looked at the one I already had before I got this one.

F755DD55-6C11-4783-90EB-A492E8E786E5.jpeg

DaveB, sbk1198 and noles19 like this.
  15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You're One of a kind dude:crackup:

Sabre699, sbk1198 and Gorilla George like this.
  16. Now I wish I wouldn’t have pulled the older one out. As soon as I gripped it, I was like “That feels a helluva lot like the new one. Hell no. It better not be the damn same”

Then I grabbed the new one and I was like “Oh FFS :crackup:

sbk1198 likes this.
  17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I've only ever built/used 308, but standard nato 7.62 is like .223. It's the lower powered version. 308 is like 5.56. You can shoot 223 out of a 5.56 chambered rifle all day, but not so much the other way around. I've simply heard you're going to wear out your gun more quickly if you use 308 in a 7.62 rifle. Again, only what I've heard.

britx303 and Gorilla George like this.
  18. Yeah, I’ve heard that…and I’ve even heard/read of something much worse (potentially dangerous) happening.

The thing is, this SAR is specifically stamped “7.62 x 51 NATO”, and that’s what the manual says also.

It might be ok, but rather than risk it, I’ll just run the actual 7.62 NATO ammo in it to be on the safe side. It’s all readily available.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Chris,
    Just remember:

.223 ---> 5.56
    7.26x51 ---> .308
    One way only.

20. britx303

This is how I’ve read it too. It confused me at first because one of them it’s the nato round that’s the higher powered/pressure (556) but opposite for the other (308). I’m nowhere near an expert, just a guy that was looking to get a lr308/ar10 and read up a little on it.........and I shoot a mini14, which is inherently engrained into the 556 vs 223 topic:flag::D