1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2021 | MotoAmerica | General Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by MyWayGuy, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I think it's natural for people who are involved in a sport to overestimate how much everyone else would enjoy it if they would just put it on TV. Fact is very few people give a shit about motorcycle racing in general, and watching the smallest humans on the smallest and slowest equipment is not what American fans line up to see. Of course this has been pointed out 15 ways by 15 people with examples, but here's one more-

I live in a major metropolitan area with accommodating weather and high disposable income, and lots of kids. We live in a free market society. Yet there is one Kart track within 200 miles and they do mini racing there ONCE per year. I'm pretty sure the guy who organizes is loses money and does it mostly for his kid, who is transitioning to the big track anyway. If it's so potentially popular, why can't I even find a kart track to let us have a minibike session?

I admire your enthusiasm- but I'm going to have a little fun too- We already have another easily irritated / outraged individual who also types in crappy haiku fashion on here. Adjust your style accordingly. :Poke:

418, YamahaRick and R1Racer99 like this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's a different situation really, Florida use to have a bunch of kart tracks that did mini bikes all the time, and something changed with insurance so now pretty much only brushnell allows bikes often.
    People don't want to pay the cost that the tracks were charging basically.

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Moroso/PBIR doesn't run mini stuff on their kart track?

4. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Not sure why I'm letting myself get baited back into this conversation.

1. I'm not irritated. I'm more versed on the WERA BB than people realize. I knew from the start I'd rattle some feelings. However I did get a conversation started and got some different view points that I wasn't aware of.

2. I've lived in a few Major metropolitan areas and watched the sport grow. In Houston Texas, the local track was selling memberships to the min bike guys. With some social media leg work / bike nights (kids showing up doing simple circles in a parking lot) more and more people started buying memberships. Haven't been there for a few years but before I left the mini's usually outnumber the karts!

Our next stop was in Phoenix. The local Kart track wasn't keen on the mini's. Again, with a little leg work, a small social media presence the opinion turned around to where it has a very health showing of mini's along with Super Moto guys. Now there is even talk of bring in some mini racing events!

We also started going to SoCal a couple years ago and at the time we were the only Horizontal Four Stroke Mini GP OWNED machines on the track. We learned a few things along with the org and some rules / accommodations had to made. Now the miniGP machines are dominated and the kids we use to bang bars with are very successfully competing in the MotoA minicup.

Same thing happened with our local flat track org in Phoenix. We got involved, had a social media presence and now the mini bike / kids grids / have more than doubled!

Currently we are in the midst of a relocation to another part of the country and will look forward of growing the sport.

So what is my point? You are the problem in your local area! You failed to do the work. How many bike nights did you show up at Cycle Gear and such to try to grow the sport? What was your social media presence to help get people interested? (Every City has a Sport Biker Page etc)

3. I'm not here to make virtual friends and have people like me. However, if anyone wants to stop by the pits, have a conversation that's cool. I've learned long ago the snarky snide remarks vanish. I'm seeing a lot of can't and won't blah blah blah. I say put in some work and often good things happen.

Now I'm sure the flaming assassinations will continue, but I simply don't care.

5. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

They dont run kart or mini bike stuff there anymore. There was a girl that died on the kart track with their kart rental business a couple years ago and the State clamped down because the parents made a lot of noise. Regulations were changed and insurance rates went way up. Palm Beach Karting shut down and the kart track is now used for autocrossing.

Also, rumors are that the owners of PBIR are selling the land to Walmart and a distribution center will be built on the site.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That seems to be where things go wrong for a lot of racers. :D

noles19 likes this.
  7. Gino230

Once a year in Feb. And now the entire property is (probably)being sold.

8. Gino230

9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Hey, do you think if we start a thread about growing kids racing, a MotoAmerica discussion might break out?

10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Cmon man! The kids ARE MotoAmerica, if you can’t see that you’re the problem!:D

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Screw the kids. Its all about ME!!!!!!

I want a Sr Cup on the 400's!! 45+ yrs old. Tag us on the back of the jr cup grid i dont care

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

13. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

hell yea, good luck. born in 99, the dude is a young test rider haha!

14. Gino230

That is cool news- NJMP is certainly not a "European style" track. These fast guys always seem to adapt, though.

15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Especially the surface!

Gino230 likes this.
  16. Monsterdood

17. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I just read on Facetubes that PBIR wants $8000/day for the go-cart track, so if you charge $50/rider you only need 160 entries to break even:Pop:(the info was posted by an individual who’s the #1 organizer of mini racing in Florida).

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Not surprised. The days of $20-60 kart trackdays are coming to a end.

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

You can ask him at Jersey, if you speak Italian...

20. Monsterdood

Perfecto, bellisima!