1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaching kids

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Aug 19, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

so just to wrap things up...we all kind of fell into our roles, we also never had another practice during the season. Out of 32 teams we ended up the 9th seed, and made it to the semi-finals, but lost. Not bad considering how it all started.

They let me do my thing with lineups and rotations, and they used their baseball knowledge coaching the girls on the bases, etc. It actually worked out pretty well. They advised on some things, I listened, and either applied it or some of it, or none of it. So I definitely learned things, and the girls had a good time, which was my goal.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The timing on this couldn't be worse. I left the game today totally gutted and pissed at one of the coaches I've work with the last few years. Just felt both sick and totally pissed to the point I wanted to call him out for his shit.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You just can not go negative and raise your voice to borderline yell with girls. Build them up, constructive criticism with a positive end result, never raise your voice and NEVER come close to yelling. Especially if you're a dude coaching girls.

F@ck, now I'm getting pissed again. :mad:

BigBird likes this.
  4. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Summer lax?

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rec semi finals.

Summer started today and I'm not into it but I'm goalie coaching for two teams (that my kid is not playing with).

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Screw that, yell at them all, welcome to the real world :D

noles19 and Gixxerguy855 like this.
  7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I've lost track of the number of single season track coaches who have come and gone from my team. It's always the same thing. "I'm never coaching girls again! No amount of money is worth this!" Boys are much easier to coach. Not even close.

bullockcm likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

so interesting fun at last night's girls 3/4 grade Travel softball game.

Going into the last inning we are up 10-2, and we are the away team. The other team had the bases loaded 3x but only mustered 2 runs. In this last inning, it's an unlimited inning. I was 3B coach and tell you the truth I didn't know how many runs were in. I was just focused on the unlimited inning. So we were up, 13-2, and on the next play and hit to the right side of the IF, the other team got an out for 2 outs on our team, a runner came around to score, this is now run 14, and our runner was going at a good clip from 2nd to third, so I sent her home because the other team held onto the ball and didn't throw it back in to end the play. After this I probably would have chilled out, but it was on the same play.

The other team took exception to that, and said yelled "Respect the Game" to me multiple times and pulled their girls off the field and ended the game. So we are lining up the girls to say good game and all that stuff, but the opposing coaches wouldn't be quiet, so I was like this is a Travel game. So then two of them come across the mound, one of them calling me an @$$hole and kept on walking over. I was like this is what you really want to do in front of 9-10 year old girls. That didn't stop them and theb the umpire came back in to separate and told the other team to get back to their side.

TL;DR Emotional coaches, should not be teaching sports.

9. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Parents are assholes. Worst part of youth sports. I am looking forward to stepping down after next year. I need a break from the drama.

t11ravis likes this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I coached a high school game where we played a team that had just formed that year and their team was comprised of football players that thought hockey looked cool and you could hit people. Well, they forgot to learn about the actual skating and stickhandling aspects of the game. We were up 20+ goals and just kept pouring it on because they kept trying to thug up the game, even after being humiliated. Fuck em is what I said.

BigBird likes this.
  11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Without a doubt. I have witnessed some really horrible parenting in the past 12 years. I'm totally over it.

BigBird likes this.
  12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You all should try dealing with that mentality 184 days a year…

BigBird likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

180 days off. :D

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Swing and a miss!

As I sit in my classroom working on 18hours of graduate credit I have to complete in 10 weeks ( this is week 7).:D

And my wife is 300feet away in her classroom, planning her new Spanish curriculum for the year.

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

This kind of shit was one of the driving forces in me getting out of coaching & officiating youth sports. Get over it. Kids need their teeth kicked in from time to time. Builds character. As an umpire, I would have ejected whichever of their coaches was the loudest when they pulled them off the field. Post game ejection results in 2 game suspension where I was at. "Respect the game." Yea, because nothing is more respectful than quitting. :rolleyes:

Now that I have a son, part of me really looks forward to whatever sports or endeavors we find he enjoys. The other part of me dreads dealing with other parents and their poor little snowflakes. Hopefully he just likes motorcycles.

BigBird likes this.
  16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Be forewarned. Race dads make soccer dads look like Mother Theresa.

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Not sure about that really, for ever one bad race dad there are hundreds of baseball mom's calling other kids bad names at 9 years old.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, it can't be that strenuous if you have time for the BBS. :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    RRP likes this.
  19. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

This thread has made me look back on this year of coaching youth. I went ALL in and am coaching 3 lacrosse teams: u8 boys (my son is 7), u10 girls (my daughter is 9), u10 boys travel/club team (my son plays on this as a "development player").

Here in MN we started in February and are just finishing up our summer season this weekend.

I've ran 90 practices, and 39 games. I hope to add another 6 games this weekend in our upcoming tournament!

Each team is super fun but totally unique. As others mentioned, coaching boys vs. girls is TOTALLY different - but I love both.

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Boman Forklift, Dave K and BigBird like this.
  20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Can't just let me carry my cross can you? :D

TurboBlew, Yzasserina and BigBird like this.