1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Listing a house

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jul 15, 2021.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

In any thread . . . keep the pecans and bring on the bourbon! :beer:

2. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

Around here you could have sold the house 7 times over in 3 weeks. 2 houses on my street recently went in the same week, both of which were under contract in 2 days.

Get that Blackrock money!

BigBird likes this.
  3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I would ask her when she plans to have photos taken, and when you can expect the house to be listed.

We are under contract for our current house. We interviewed two realtors, and one was so much more aggressive and cohesive than the other. She wanted to get photos done ASAP and she came prepared with a price strategy and a whole bunch of data for us.

She sold our house on day two of it being listed. We had three bids over asking. I think we had 18 showings?

Our house is a nice home in a good location where a young family would want to be, but the market is crazy right now. I would want a realtor who I felt was busting their ass to sell the place.

Keep in mind I DESPISED realtors before this experience. We were thinking of doing FSBO, but every FSBO home in our neighborhood has languished for weeks.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's hardly a family heirloom. Mom bought it in March of 2020, put over $100K into it to make it the way she wanted and then contracted cancer in Sept 2020. She passed June 1st. We just want it out of our lives. In hindsight, I think I was still a little rattled once it was all over to think clearly. Like I said before, I waived the carrot of her other houses in front of this realtor but I think I'll just stick a sign in the yards and see what comes of them.

BigBird and Sabre699 like this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I would think you wanted the maximum number of sellers to know that your property is for sale. I too thought about listing my house for sale by seller but you miss out on potential buyers that didn’t know your property was for sale.

sheepofblue and rd400racer like this.
  6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Find a broker that will list it on the MLS for you and do everything else ala carte. You should be able to get down to 5% that way and still get it in front of lots of people.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Having your mother's old employer sell her house sounds like a bad idea.
    In light of it having languished for 3 weeks in the hottest market in years, it looks like a bad idea.
    The realtor is looking out for themselves, not you. You won't believe this but some salespeople can
    make you feel like you're best friends while they screw you on the deal. And they won't even feel
    bad about it. I shit you not.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My son sold his house in 2 days in Salem Oregon. He had 3 offers with 2 over list. Went with the lower one as that was cash and willing to give him 30 days to vacate.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Your realtor sounds a little shady. Get that thing on the open market. At this point, no way would I let him list the other 4 houses.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'll pile on... everyone here is spot on. I'd just add- get it listed and set a date deadline for "final and best offers"

cpettit likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

with houses basically selling on their own, must one pay 5% to a realtor to basically just list the house? they are really not doing much to get buyers in.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

When I sold Mom's it was the same week. He waited until Friday to list it so it was 'fresh' when the weekend hunters came out. This was just before the market really exploded but still and up market then. I would tear an agent a new one if it was not on MLS in a week. Oh and in AL there is some law about the timing of putting a sign up and getting into MLS, can't remember but the realtor told us about it.

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@rd400racer
    Why wait for them to tell you? Dictate what you want done.

1) when will pictures be scheduled?
    2) how long once pictures are complete to list?
    3) tell them you want it to go live on the MLS on a Wednesday night. (So other agents see it Thursday and start lining up weekend spots.
    4) tell them they have a week to collect offers won’t review Till the next Tuesday after go live.
    5) No way should you allow them to represent a buyer. Huge conflict of interest.

5% is good money, tell them to start working for it.

Rico888, Banditracer and sheepofblue like this.
  14. Jedb

Just as a frame of reference, my ex is in real estate and I heard the above with just about every listing she got.

15. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

Its my job in NZ, assume its the same in the US. Usually it's a week to several weeks depending on how ready you are. If there is a real hurry it could be in 24 hours if the photographer is on call. 3 weeks and no comms is bullshit. I know a lot of people view salespeople as an unnecessary tax but a good professional saves you a lot of stress and makes you money, the difficulty is that there is a low barrier to entry so the industry is full of knobs.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This was my same thought before we listed, but honestly seeing how poorly the FSBO homes in the neighborhood have fared, I am very happy we went with a realtor. Part of that may be that owners aren’t advertising the payment of 3% commission to buyer’s agent, and maybe some are listed too high. Dunno.

17. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

On Average it takes my wife 3 days to list it after the contract due to getting pictures. Lately she has just put up a cell phone pic and lists it that day or the next morning
    In PA the buyers only pay a brokerage fee so them waiting to shop it to a buyer for an extra $250-500 wouldn't be worth the time to wait.

18. Jedb

The buyers may only pay a brokerage fee, but if an agent represents both the buyer and the seller, the agent gets to keep the entire listing fee. $200-$500 is small compared to the 3% that they give to the buyer's agent.

In this case, they said 5%, with a split being 2% to listing Agent and 3% to buyer's agent.
    If the agent represents both, they keep the whole 5%.
    IMO, huge conflict of interest, especially in today's market where houses move fast.

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I can assure you that the realtor is looking to get max dollars in their pocket! If that means getting max dollars for you, that is great, but that isn't necessarily going to be the case if they are looking to get it sold before it goes on the market. You may be waiving a carrot of other houses, but what is the potential buyer waiving for consideration to get a house potentially below market value?

20. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I hear you signed a listing agreement 3 weeks after the owner died. I could imagine something in probate that's holding them from moving forward more quickly. My uncle has been working on his dad's probate for nearly 1.5 years to try to sell the home. Even if that's the case it should be transparent.

I very recently sold and I signed the listing contract on a Tuesday, they took pictures Wednesday, it was live on MLS Thursday, and by Sunday I had 3 offers over listing. Under contract in less than a week from listing agreement.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk