1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 R6 transmission rebuild?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by CJM, Jul 12, 2021.

1. CJM

CJM Active Member

My 2017 R6 is having shifting problems in 3rd and 4th gear. The bike will pop in and out of those two gears. I've been told the shift fork(s) may be bent. I'm thinking of a transmission rebuild. Who would you guys recommend? I'm located in central NC.

Thanks for the advice.

Cullen

2. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

Isn't KWS in SC? They've been around a long time.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

shift forks aint terrible to do. Id imagine a shop would charge a min of 8 hours plus parts.
    Adams Performance isnt far. Lots of capable shops in the area such as the previous KWS reco.

Have you n

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Call KWS, ask for Goat.

5. Ungarisch

Ungarisch Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of a tranny rebuild myself. Shift forks are only part of the issue. The main issue is rounded dogs from too many misshifts and gearbox crunches, which eventually get progressively worse to the point where it can no longer stay in gear as the dog is completely rounded off. See photo below for my 4th gear dog:

dog.JPG
    pinion.JPG

this then will cause wear on the shift fork as well, which too needs to be replaced.

fork.JPG

The gears need to be replaced in pairs, both the main gear and the pinion gear. Your looking at roughly $400 for the gear and shift forks, and another $250 for miscellaneous one time use items that must be replaced as part of the rebuild.

6. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

time to get the taller 1st gear from the kit manual and swap it in lol.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That's ugly. I probably have an entire used gearbox in good shape if you're interested.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to suggest to him as well. Should be plenty of good gearboxes laying around from blown motors.

9. Yep. Get one in good shape FWIW I’d trust RM enough to buy something from him without even asking for pictures because he’s as meticulous as it gets and have a reputable person like goat do the swap.

Boman Forklift and noles19 like this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Superbike unlimited in Hendersonville would be my suggestion. Adam's performance is good also but I'm not sure if they would pull the engine for you or not.