1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 GSXR 750 huge flat spot 4-7k rpms

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gapman789, May 11, 2021.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

There are individual pumps (not whole assemblies) on eBay and the like. If you go that route you may have better luck than I did.

It's possible/likely the janky, old-ass varnish that used to be gas in my tank is what killed the cheap-ass fuel pump I put on my 06, but it got the bike started a couple of times before it stopped working...

I ended up buying used assemblies off eBay and here. Now that I've actually ridden the bike at a track day (and stored it properly) hopefully it will keep working longer.

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Yes.

3. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Just remove the fuel pump and replace the filter, very easy job and dealer sells the filters pretty cheaply. I wish I had seen your post earlier because I had the same symptoms on my old 2012 750.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Me too....I have 2 OEM pumps on the way.....will be here tomorrow.

5. gapman789

Welp, good news bad news....New/used fuel pump works great. Bike sounds great. Bad news is, i had the minty OEM blue gas tank sitting gas cap down on a moving blanket on the garage floor so gas wouldn't leak out of the fuel pump line while i was waiting for the new fuel pumps to arrive. Unfortunately the Vortex gas cap decided to leak and the gas ate an 8"x 8" area of paint off the tank. FML

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That stinks. I didn’t realize gas would eat off factory paint?

7. gapman789

The gas soaked the moving blanket that the tank was laying on, for 4-5 days. So the paint/tank was in contact with a gas soaked blanket basically for several days. Vortex V3 cap

8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i replace the screen yearly. fuel pumps are all rebuildable. since yours is working, it's most likely the screen

9. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

Not the first leaky vortex gas cap I've seen on a gsxr. ;)

I replaced the fuel pump chasing a similar issue on my old gsxr, and got a fuel pump from fuelpumpfactory for $90 that dropped right in and worked perfectly. But didn't fix my problem LOL

10. gapman789

11. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Looks like a job for Rattle Can Man.

12. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Know an artist ? I think I see something in there.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Hell, I've yet to see a Vortex cap tht DOESN'T leak lol. I just assume its a feature , not a defect at this point :crackup:

Sorry about the paintwork BTW, bummer

svracer22 likes this.
  14. gapman789

I actually have some kustom canz triton blue, leftover from a tank that i painted.

15. gapman789

Good as new.

gsxr paint.jpg

16. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

It kinda resemebles the shape of africa, maybe put an africa sticker on top

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I would have told people it's the Panigale R rare replica Suzuki built that year and you got to special from Japan from an importer.

<It could happen>

18. tigerblade

tigerblade Mostly Titanium