1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I reuse these main bearings?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Ungarisch, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Ungarisch

Ungarisch Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of replacing a shift fork and rounded off dog on my transmission, which required case split. Engine has 15k miles on it. Maybe 2k miles worth of track days.

Looking at the main bearings, the cloudiness is gone in certain places. I'm not sure if the cloudiness is just a coating that goes away over time, and certain areas being slightly polished is normal wear, or should I consider replacing them? These are the lower main bearings, didn't remove the crank yet as I wasn't planning on disassembling the top end. As far as I know lower bearing usually have more wear than the upper, so this should be about as bad as they all are. This is not a race bike, 80% street / 20% trackdays.

crank.JPG
    crank2.JPG

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

What's the condition of the journals? If they are good and money is not an issue I'd replace since you've done all the hard work already. Truth is they don't look bad. 15k miles is peanuts if they weren't abused.

Ungarisch likes this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Bearings are cheap, cranks are expensive. I'd recommend replacing them while you're in there.

RightSideUp, tophyr and emry like this.
  4. Ungarisch

Ungarisch Well-Known Member

crank journals are perfect. Looking at Mahle's wear guide, it looks like the matte coating wear is normal, if it's limited to the center of the bearing, though I do agree with you on the "while you're in there" factor. I suppose it's going to come down to whether I can remove / slide out the upper halves with the crank insitu. I really don't want to tear the top end apart now. My biggest issue is the escalading costs. I can find good low mileage engines for between $600-1000, while just replacing the 2 affected 4th gears (dog and receiving gear) and shift fork on the gearbox is already totalling up to $550, including no reusable items. If I add bearing onto that that's another $300, so if the bearing are OK I'd rather keep them. Again, probably gonna come down to whether I'm able to slide the old upper bearing out without any struggle.

https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/m...b-2-1114-engine-bearing-failures-brochure.pdf

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would rather buy a used transmission, with good forks and gears and replace the bearings. Although I have no experience trying to replace main bearings with the top end still on.

I would guess you could pop off the valve cover and zip tie the sprockets to the chain, to try and keep from messing up the cam timing?

Then you could remove the cam chain tensioner and possibly give you enough room to spin the main bearings out?

6. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

Personally I’d run those mains. That’s totally normal wear and very light wear at that.

Ungarisch likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm in the group of people that are saying, while you're in there...

...might as well "speed it up!" :D

8. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

if you can find good replacement motors for $600, and bearings are $300, I wouldn't bother. If you hate dropping motors and doing work, sure it makes sense to replace em. Just grab a spare engine and run it til it blows- if it ever does

9. I’m not sure why this is even a question.

tophyr, 418 and emry like this.
  10. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

If you were going to replace them would you install the same size?

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I would start with the same size (if you can still see the paint marks) and then measure oil clearance, adjust if necessary. In most cases, the original sizes generate clearance within spec.

Ungarisch likes this.
  12. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

Thanks was wondering about that.

13. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Those things look mint!

14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Part out. You've already disassembled it.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yet I know you would be replacing those if it was your race bike. SMH. :)