1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When looking for a new car

Discussion in 'General' started by jonathanp, Jun 17, 2021.

1. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

When looking for a new vehicle what do you do to find the best price?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Research.

auminer and BigBird like this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep...research...

I may or may not have over done it.

Attached Files:

auminer, Boman Forklift, Jedb and 3 others like this.
  4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Not really, where are the rankings? :)

5. Venom51

Over on another tab of the spreadsheet. I pulled only the ones that looked promising into a cut down list. The main sheet keeps going to the right with all the spec'd options for each car and their associated cost per upgrade. It kind of shows which options you absolutely get raped for on cost and how little they are worth on the second hand market.

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol, of course. I can help you whittle down. See the color column? See where it says gray, red and white? Get rid of those. You're welcome! :cool:

7. Venom51

Dark Blue Metallic was my top choice. Being the rarest color hurt my preferred spending level so I ended up with my second choice of color...GT Silver. White was on the list of acceptable colors. :D

Yzasserina likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

1)Truecar
    2)Edmunds forums is also good indicator of pricing
    3)and/or email to various dealers.

I only deal with pricing through email/texts. Any dealer that doesn't want to do that, does not get my business. I don't have time to play games. Any dealer that goes when do you have time to stop by, that's a sign it's going to be a long time, and that's a "no, dawg"

9. Venom51

Just remember a good deal on a vehicle is simply each party being a little unhappy with either how much they got paid or how much they spent.

BigBird likes this.
  10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Holy shit that's awesome. Nice work. Are you a project manager? LOL

11. Venom51

Nope... I'm an idiot.

12. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Widen your search to the whole country. Find the best price and bring it to the local dealer. If they get within $500, done deal!

Also I would normally recommend special ordering a vehicle. You can negotiate a better deal typically because it is a guaranteed sale for the dealer and there aren't any flooring costs because you pick the vehicle up as soon as it shows up. Not sure if this strategy will work post Covid though with chip shortages and the like.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup::crackup:
    The first time I saw a GT4, it was in that blue color and it just grabbed me. I remember bringing my wife and Tyler to look at it to over the following weeks.

Man I loved that car, and still like it in that color better than any other color I've seen. Had my building sold back then, and it was in escrow, I planned to buy that car. Fortunately, I had patience, because the buyer backed out.

LOL, I am too, but for different reasons.:D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  14. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I looked around what used prices were at different dealers and what MSRP was. Got an idea of what a good price was going to be, found which dealers had what I wanted listed, and blasted them for offers. I was pretty limited in what was available (manual Impreza hatch), but the best deal by far was in Colorado. None of the other dealers were willing to counter anything close to it. Actually, not sure any of them were even interested in giving a counter offer.

Don't limit yourself to your locality.

15. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I have been looking at cars for about a year now, and as much as I don’t want to buy new the used prices are insane.

16. Venom51

That's because the dealerships are trying to buy the same cars you are trying to buy. My best advice would be to delay the purchase as long as possible if possible.

17. socal

socal Well-Known Member

9 months ago Paid $68k for a new '20 Porsche Macan GTS...NADA retail right now for same is over $80k. My client yesterday bought a Hyundai or Kia with an $8k markup above MSRP. Average age of a car on the road is 13 years- a record. Auto industry is anticipating it will take more than a year for the shortage to correct due to chip shortage and Covid related disruptions. Great time to be a seller. Bad time to be a buyer. A high tide raises all boats.

18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I've found that buying/negotiating online or via phone is much less stressful and it's easier getting a decent deal. If you know what you want, don't go to the dealer until you already have a deal struck and all the figures in writing. I did this with the last 2 trucks I bought and actually never stepped foot on the lot. Did the deal and had them delivered.