1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using BST Carbon Fiber wheels?

Discussion in 'General' started by corvette95, Jun 15, 2021.

1. corvette95

corvette95 Well-Known Member

I am looking at new track bike. It has BST Carbon Fiber wheels. Anyone running these and how much improvement in performance with the lighter wheels? What value does the set add to the price of a low mileage ZX10R (it is currently a street bike)? I am trying to decide my final price on it including the wheels. Thx.

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Wait wait wait. Didn’t we have like a 10,000 post thread on these same wheels like 15 years ago? Are we bringing it back boys?

For a real answer, sell the wheels and run stock ones. You’ll thank me later.

3. corvette95

Well that was no help. Can you explain your answer? I did a search and didn't come up with anything. Also, 15 years was a long time ago, products and circumstances change...so looking for information on current generation BST wheels, especially on a ZX10R.

cav115 likes this.
  4. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Durrani is what he was referring too

track wagon, evakat and Quicktoy like this.
  5. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Sell those show pony wheels and run stock wheels like @Quicktoy said. Carbon wheels are gorgeous and all that. But even MotoGP doesn’t use them in racing.

And are you setting lap records everywhere you go?
    Will these wheels make the difference for you?

Quicktoy likes this.
  7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

No way in hell I'd trust a carbon fiber wheel.....especially on a 10R making that torque....it's only a matter of time.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. corvette95

To clarify,the bike I’m looking at already has the carbon fiber wheels. I also have heard all my life the least amount of unsprug weight is better. Seller does not have stock wheels as he sold them, so I would have to buy them. Is there a reason NOT to use the carbon fiber wheels ( I know about possibility of crack / damage on pothole etc. I no longer race ( I’m old now :) ). This would be for track days only but in race group . Thanks

9. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I don't know about you guys but I have a friend who has a couple Suzuki gamma 500s and he put the carbon wheels on one... And after riding them both side by side and switching off at his insistence....
    All I can say is WOW!
    Major difference absolutely noticeable... no ifs ands or butts goes through slow turns and fast turn so much easier....pretty amazing stuff.
    Others can say what they want but from my perspective I couldn't possibly see anything to make a bike handle much better considering you already has suspension dialed in anyways.. it was pretty impressive.

Carbon rims are getting pretty popular and I personally have never heard of a failure on one? Outside of the old infamous 1980s stories

gapman789 and G2G like this.
  10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

No need to clarify. My answer stands. Get the bike. Sell the wheels to some squid. Buy a set or two of oem wheels with the money.

Go have fun.

Robby-Bobby and Quicktoy like this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Any wheel can fail...

How they fail and when are the two factors that impact the outcome...

We've all seen the complete tear out of the hub of a perfectly good OEM magnesium wheel...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    G2G likes this.
  12. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

Buy the bike. Then buy a set of stock rims with a plan to sell one of the sets. Try them both and then sell the set you like the least.
    Bet you keep the carbon fiber ones.

zx250r, sanee and Jon Wilkens like this.
  13. 418

418 Expert #59

MotoGP doesn't use carbon fiber wheels because FIM deemed them illegal years ago due to the cost....

You guys do realize that you S1000RR has carbon fiber wheels from the factory right?

stk0308, cav115 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Carbon wheels of today are not the carbon wheels of old. Don't confuse the two. Technology and manufacturing has greatly improved.

Those will be massive improvements in handling and feel, both through the suspension and the throttle. how much do they add? Not a ton...but they are really nice!

G2G and cav115 like this.
  15. corvette95

Thanks for the replies. I think I have my answer.

16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Do you realize how many have issues with those wheels? Carbon Fiber wheels and pot holes dont mix too good, most of our tracks dont have too many potholes but still....

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Really depends on if the op is winning track days

TurboBlew and Quicktoy like this.
  18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

This. If he’s winning then then it’s time to step up to club level with carbons.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. corvette95

Why is there an inherent smart ass comment bias here?

track wagon likes this.
  20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

MotoCorse has used a ton of those wheels on their high end race bike builds. Never had failures. I personally never used them because they were SO expensive and I always felt I could get more out of improving my riding than spending $5k on wheels.

However in your case, since they're already on the bike, I would not shy away. Just keep your eyes open for a set of stockers as a backup. You may even be able to use the talking points in this thread to negotiate the price down!

cav115 likes this.