1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Yamaha Sportbike Announcement 5/18

Discussion in 'General' started by MotoGP69, May 12, 2021.

1. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Prepare to be disappointed. I think it's the same swingarm as the MT-07:

MT07 Swingarm.jpg

Bruce likes this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Ugh.

Can't stand that they slapped the R7 badge on this thing.....but at least it doesn't look half-bad.

Curious if they have the audacity to price this thing like it's NOT a faired MT-07 with USD forks and come in with some bullshit $10K+ MSRP.....

3. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

If you think about current market prices for things, I think its almost guaranteed that it will carry a sticker price of $10k or greater. Come on Yamaha, prove me wrong.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

$8699? +500 for fairings and +500 for forks?

Im sure plenty of people will pay that instead of going a little more for a ZX6R at $10199. But it seems like A LOT less bike for the $$.

If it gets ride by wire and bumps to $8999, maybe it'll be worth it. But I won't hold my breath for that one.

5. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I will be interesting to see because the street price of a new MT-07 is about $6500+ fees. If these don't sell like hotcakes it might turn out to be a decent deal.

6. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

What makes the mt07 handle badly compared to the sv?

7. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a thread a while back about this,and the smear of the R-7 name?Whatever it is,its not worthy of the R-7 badge

8. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

We have a 33 year old (older than most of yous) ZXR250 sitting next to a newer ninja 400.
    It's amazing how if we got that 33 year old design/tech 'Back' in 2021, We'd be stoked, Magazines would be going nuts.
    I don't understand why we keep making massive technological leaps backwards with lightweights.. Kawasaki-brochure-ZXR250-both-sides.gif ...

cha0s#242, RRP, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  9. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

So if those pics are to be believed:

- same steel frame and the swingarm from the MT-07 - no aluminum frame or "proper" chassis as the racers wanted to compete with the Ape.
    - brakes and forks look lifted from the R6
    - bodywork is almost a carbon copy too from the R6 - single round light and LED's on each side though.
    - I really hope the punched out the engine though and it's a 700+ with 85 ponies and 55ft lbs - Ape's 660 numbers and KTM's p-twin 790 Duke was 96hp and 60ft lbs so easily doable should Yamaha be serious about the bike.

10. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

11. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Well after seeing that, if the market won't buy decent sportsbikes then it's not unreasonable that OEMs have foisted these piles of shite on us in response.

12. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

I blame all the youtubers, journalists and blog posters. They’ve constantly been telling people that the 600 is not a starter bike(it’s not) and that they shouldn’t buy one. The entire middleweight market was propped up by squids. Like it or not, those people bought bikes that they shouldn’t have and singlehandedly created the market. The industry did this to themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

The squids still exist. They just buy 1000s because rider aids make them newb friendly. And all the non-squids have so many choices in the 40-80HP range that are all cheaper and more comfortable.

Gino230, noles19 and ducnut like this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh horseshit.

We went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Read: toxic emasculation.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yep. Nothing in the past five years besides the RS660 has excited me in the lightweight category.

The 660 even looks to be somewhat of a deal for a track or race bike, considering the $10K+ builds my friends have done on lightweights.

SpeedWerks Racing likes this.
  16. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

This?
    https://www.palatinate.org.uk/toxic-emasculation/

So you’re saying gay dudes are buying motorcycles just because it will make them appear less gay? Not because of how they perform? Which in turn is killing the middleweight motorcycle market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

There's several things that made this happen, one being the internet, because once everyone had a source to ask questions about bikes besides the local dealer it becomes very easy to see that you should buy a used bike vs spending a shit ton of money for a new bike that has been the same or damn near the same for a long time.
    Which is the other problem, the manufacturers stopped building new bikes so people bought used, once they started this new 1000cc war people have been buying them like crazy:Poke:

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Customers who want an I4 600 do not want a parallel twin anything.

cav115, JBowen33, Chango and 4 others like this.
  19. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Two paragraphs started in "Whilst" and some other big talky words I didn't understand.Im selling my bikes and buying a subscription to GQ..

20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

This is all another step in the stairway to all things beautiful when sport bikes one again converge on the glorious 750cc in-line 4.