1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Yamaha Sportbike Announcement 5/18

Discussion in 'General' started by MotoGP69, May 12, 2021.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

If it is an mt with fairings then they are as dead to me as Honda.

ducnut, sill'r B sill'd and noles19 like this.
  2. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

A new competitor to the 765 daytona. Since they’ve killed the r6 and the 765 is going to be legal in bsb supersport this year, I’m hoping they want in on the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What's better than an R6?

cav115 likes this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

Go back to 06. Maybe 05. Possibly 03.

5. metricdevilmoto

No one with an R1M wishes they started off racing with an R1M. It's a premium for street bits.

cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

But, but it has carbon fiber bodywork! Surely it's an M1 for the everyman??????

( my point being they would hopefully make an R spec, M spec, whatever and offer a base model and then a tastier bike for a rider who wants premium farkles for canyons, the odd TD, Starbucks cred, etc...)

But I do like what other have alluded to as well, a Gix750/Daytona 765 killer - now that would be cool. The one soundbite in a teaser clip has what was either a crossplane 4 or parallel twin sound though so I'm guessing we're locked in with either a revised current 689cc MT engine or a beefier version in the 700's. Wouldn't be good for MA class rules I'd guess but for WSS or the current BSB rules - yeehaw!

Love me a Nitro Nori Rep R7...

7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Anything after the r6, the mostest winningest production bike of all time, is going to a let down.

If they'd stuck a 100kw electric motor in an old r6 I would be more excited than a full faired budget bike.

Boman Forklift and aaronson like this.
  8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The MT-09 would have been an awesome platform to make a full on sportsbike. That CP3 engine is still phenomenal and the torque it makes would make for sweet wheelies out of corners :D

9. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

My guess is that motor, frame, swingarm and brakes (already larger discs for 2021) will be unchanged. Should see adjustable forks and more adjustable shock, and full bodywork. I hope for more but I can't imagine Yamaha investing in anything needed to effectively compete with the Aprilia 660 like a new frame, electronics and more HP.

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

A bike that sells more than a r6

R Acree and younglion like this.
  11. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

I hope Yamaha goes big revamps their entire less than 1000cc sport bike line up. Here what I would like to see:

3 New or updated models with street friendly ergonomics.

R4 - basically 400cc version of the current R3
    R7 - perimeter frame in steel or aluminum, improved suspension components and geometry, 90+ horsepower CP2,
    R9 - Fully-faired MT-09

younglion likes this.
  12. JustAnotherSquid

JustAnotherSquid Used to ride a motorcycle

Yamaha recently trademarked the R9 name in addition to the R7 name. And a whole bunch of others like R15, R20, and R25. Who knows what those pranksters are up to!

cha0s#242 likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Pretty obvious to me... only one of those of interest to the US market would be the R9 (clearly the existing 900 triple in some level of sportier package). The little ones are Asian market mini R3's

14. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Pretty much has to be, that swingarm is tiny if that's a real picture.
    Probably going to compete with the ape

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

That pic is from a Youtube vid by 'Taufik TMCBlog'.

It definitely looks like an Mt-07 with new forks and fairings.

Will it really compete with the Ape 660 if it has the same cheap frame?

18. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Looks like a real swingarm, so maybe a different frame....

19. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

For the money that bike should come with better calipers. Real shame as that's the biggest weak spot.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member