1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What MotoGP round to attend?

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, May 6, 2021.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

If you could choose one MotoGP round to attend on the schedule which one would it be and why? It would be my wife and I and maybe another couple depending on money and timing. We would want to turn it into a vacation and not only go to the races but do the tourist thing. I'm taking into consideration several factors when deciding on this.

- Country / Travel Safety
    - Circuit viewability
    - Nightlife and accomodations close to the track
    - Other tourist things to do besides going to the races

I'm honestly leaning towards one of the Italian rounds because I know my wife has always wanted to check out Rome.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Mugello, although Valencia is awesome too. The party in Cheste is insane. At Mugello, the party rages all night long at the track.

Senna likes this.
  3. Jason P.

Jason P. Well-Known Member

I went to:

+ Assen (great circuit and great racing - fucking poured when I was there though, 2016)
    + Catalunya (stayed in Barcelona, Airbnb got broken into, pick pocketers, great food though, great track, bring a hat though, 2017)

4. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The one where they allow spectators.

SpeedWerks Racing and Phl218 like this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

Sachsenring. Party on the hill. Beer tents like the oktoberfest^10 and "dancers" on the stage. Engines all night. buy a cheap tent and camp there.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Some of you can’t read very well or are not married. Party all night and camp in a tent? lol.

Not that there are not wives that wouldn’t be into that, just that at least 98% are not and finding two couples traveling together who would be into that is full on ROTFL.

dieterly likes this.
  7. backbone

backbone scarred for life

You can almost see the whole track anywhere at Valencia, and Cheste is awesome. So is the city of Valencia.

Aragon sucks for viewing, think COTA, you can only see a couple turns. I had more fun watching on the big screen in the Alpinestars hospitality tent and drinking real beer. You can only get 0.0 beer at the track.

Go see some castles while you are there, you can just drive right up to some of them that you see from the road. Also, take a drive down one of the highways at night, you will see these castles lit up on top of the hills all over the place. It's pretty cool looking.

8. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Since none of the countries mentioned are accepting US tourists, you might want to start with getting vaccinated.
    That seems to be the main criteria for entry in those countries that have opened their doors to US citizens.
    And, buy trip cancellation insurance

backbone likes this.
  9. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I have pretty much been to all the European rounds and I would say Mugello was always my favorite.

I would also suggest looking for back to back weekends like Mugello and Catalunya are this year and do both races.

10. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Jerez is great fun, combine with a vacation in Spain, or Portugal and you have a winner!!

cpettit likes this.
  11. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Phillip Island...

TLR67 likes this.
  12. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

We were planning Mugello last year, then Covid hit and that was that. Why Mugello? Plan was 10 days at an Airbnb outside Florence , rent a car, and eat eat eat, yeah and drink.

13. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

You can head but seagulls in Australia. Big plus for that.

14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Mugello is just outside Florence (birthplace of the Renaissance and home to many tourist sights) and just north of the beautiful Tuscan countryside. Just sayin’, in case the wives need convincing.

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I did that in 2003. My girlfriend went on a business trip so I took the train there from Stuttgart and tent camped by myself. Partied my ass off with complete strangers all weekend. Fireworks and dirt bikes all over the campground all night, burnout pits all over the place, random engines on pallets or stands just sitting there being revved to death. It was great.

That said, I’d go to Portimao. Amazing beaches with great food and wine everywhere. Pretty cheap and a short flight from the US.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah. I went in 2001.
    So, times have changed and also my desire for a good bed to sleep in. portugal sounds great, although, aside from the exit traffic, I could arrange myself with Mugello

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would want to go to Qatar .....

18. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I’d really like to make it to Mugello.

Assen was a good time but weather is a tough variable. Also not a lot around the track. Le Mans was great for the 24 hour race plus the city is a gem to explore.

you might also consider going to the TT. Stay in a B&B, boat ride to the island, good times in Douglas and nothing like being at the road races there

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Mugello was amazing, but my wife hated it. She said the women’s bathrooms were atrocious.

If we went again, I’d probably have to pony up for the VIP experience.

I can still picture the Moto2 bikes in practice coming down the hill when we first walked in. Just an incredible atmosphere. Poggio Secco is a great spot to grab seats if you go.

Also, you’re still in the middle of Tuscany when you get out of the race. That area is amazing. I would be quite content living there someday.

20. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I’ve been to Mugello, and it was pretty epic. If you go make sure you plan your transport well in advance.

I heard Misano is nice. Hotels are right down the road and you can go to the beach if you’re staying a few days extra.

Next one on the list for me is Indonesia next year. I think it’ll be a good time