1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1989 FZR 400 fuel pump alternatives?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Barry Lowery, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Barry Lowery

Barry Lowery New Member

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to the WERA forum, a friend of mine suggested I post my request on WERA since there a a lot of FZR guys here. I have a 1989 FZR 400 with a leaking fuel pump that needs replacing. The OEM has been discontinued by Yamaha so hopefully someone knows of an alternative replacement. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You could switch to a vacuum operated diaphragm pump by Mikuni, used one on my race FZR 489 and was dead nuts reliable. It's an easy conversion.

3. Barry Lowery

Barry Lowery New Member

Thanks for your reply any particular model # on the Mikuni vacuum fuel pump?

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

5. Barry Lowery

Barry Lowery New Member

6. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

7. Barry Lowery

Barry Lowery New Member

Thank everyone for their reply to my post, your suggestions were helpful and I have ordered a replacement fuel pump.

Safe riding!

ToofPic likes this.
  8. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

recently someone on the fb 400 group posted how a mikuni df52 series round vacuum pump was used, which i thought was pretty crafty.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Shouldn't be much work at all to put a vacuum pump on it.

racer_11 likes this.
  10. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

11. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Just a thought. Make sure to verify before... some of the fuel pumps that look similar to the Yamaha FZR units have larger hose nippers and your stock fuel line MAY not fit on them.