1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an Airplane?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

If you can't find one who can follow the rather simple directions to run an Airborne test kit, just replace all the regulators and the check valve assembly and be done with it. Most likely they are all shot and not allowing the correct relief flow.

2. beechkingd

The Cheyenne's bastard piston brother, still better than a 421.

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I used to have to test fly a Mohave for the shop many years ago. I still remember how much I didn't like it.

We sold our Cheyenne II about 10 years ago because it got so hard to maintain (and we're the frikkin' dealer). I can't imagine trying to actually maintain and use a Mohave.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Anyone ever fly the Mitsubishi MU-2? How is it to fly?

SteveThompson likes this.
  5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I flew a Marquise with the -10's a few times with someone else. It was fun. It was after the SFAR , so the procedures were kinda goofy. It did have a good safety record after that though. I thought the airplane was a handful. It's not anything like a King Air or Cheyenne.

Side note- my Dad flew a Mitsubishi Diamond 1A for almost 20 years. It was a good airplane for them. It shared some characteristics with the MU2 in that it used spoilers for roll control, etc. It's weird to think that Mitsubishi had that much presence in GA in the US and now there's almost nothing.

HPPT likes this.
  6. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Fucking awe full...

Flew one as our backup plane for air ambulance. They’re fast (for the time), but there is a reason less than half are still airworthy. The one I flew crashed a couple years later killing the owners parents.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

How about a G36? New special edition.
    http://media.txtav.com/198184-textr...hFeA6K74SasIY-2n9DahQdIOGcljPBTO4KCwNgIv10GY0

8. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Rising likes this.
  9. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Both regulators have been replaced. I believe a check valve was ordered but the part was garbage.

finding decent parts has been a challenge...

they hooked up a gauge to the door seal tank. Supposed to be around 18psi. In a climb to 18k it goes 19-21 psi iirc and then it slowly bleeds and starts to loose cabin pressure and doesn’t crank up when it’s supposed to. Then when you start the decent the pressure pumps ramp up every couple min and eat them up.

if someone knows how to fix this fucking thing I’m sure we would take it anywhere. If they don’t get it fixed next month during the annual I think it’s going to the glue factory.

beechkingd likes this.
  10. inpayne

Pretty similar although the Mojave has 350hp engines versus the 325 in the Aerostar I fly. And single turbo vs twin. I like the Mojave engines better but the Aerostar is the better plane.

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

There’s one or two mu-2’s out at Smyrna. Not sure if they are still doing the special training for those things out there or not

12. inpayne

Are you based out of azure? Every time I stop there they have some fine as wine women behind the desk. Lol

13. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Its pretty amazing how I remember one of my favorite planes I flew back in the day. It was a beautiful Piper Navajo with the coleman panther conversion and q-tip 4 bladed props. The engine was my favorite piston engine of all time, the Lycoming TSIO-540. I cant believe I still remember that, yet currently fly the A320Neos and cant tell you shit about the engine cept its got a pretty fan blade and takes fooorrrrrrever to start. Ha.

14. beechkingd

As I recall they have the dual stage main regulators. If they aren't setting the pressures with them in the plane with an airborne test set, that is most likely the issue. There are procedures that Piper puts in the book for doing it without one, but it will end up overheating the pumps or at least following the airborne system directions they will find the issue.

15. Steak Travis

hah I’m right under the control tower on the east ramp but maybe we need to park over there and check them out!

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Are any of you pilot types out of Charlie Brown, Cobb, or PDK? I'd love a ride to see if I'm still interested in getting a private or if I'm too old and chicken of stalls.

17. Steak Travis

you will be! Do it! If you are ever in nashville call me and we’ll go buzz around

18. inpayne

I really like the mojave. But the best you have had is the best you know. So yeah i'm sure if I was flying jets or PC-12 around i'd hate it too. But it's what available for me to fly and get paid and get my hours up.

One nice thing the the Mojave is it has counter rotating props. Same engine. TSIO-540. Sweet engine.

I'll ask the mechanic. I I believe they set them on the ground. I haven't heard of the airborne system test. I know they can definitely be set hot, but I don't believe that is this issue since it's mostly affected in the decent. I'm betting it has to do with the check valve assembly like you mentioned. With the door seal activation switch or whatever is called is disconnected the pumps work fine, no issues.

19. beechkingd

I'm referring to a ground test set to adjust everything with shop air. It's an Airborne 343 test kit. Airborne made most of pneumatic pumps and regulators originally. They have a test set with some pretty straight forward instructions for setting the pressures and observing the regulators reactions to different pressures.

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Just catching up! Things in the aviation business are coming back pretty quickly. We are filling planes again and have recalled all of our pilots that were on long term leave for the summer. We are still going to be down about 1,800 guys that took permanent retirement. My bet is that we will be hiring by the end of the year.

I can't speak for the regionals, but I think it follows that they will be picking back up too. The international is still hurting and since that is a big part of the hub and spoke model I don't know how that effects the regional carriers.

Work at the flight schools is directly connected to how the foreign (asian) carriers are growing- not sure what is happening on that front, but it seems you made the right decision to continue building time.

Photo likes this.